Amnesty International Asks For Help To End Internet Censorship

Chinahand

Amnesty International is currently running a campaign to try to stop Internet companies like Yahoo, Microsoft, Sun and Google collaborating with repressive regimes in their censorship and manipulation of the internet.

Check out: Amnesty News Release

To sign a petition pledging that:

I believe the Internet should be a force for political freedom, not repression. People have the right to seek and receive information and to express their peaceful beliefs online without fear or interference.

I call on governments to stop the unwarranted restriction of freedom of expression on the Internet – and on companies to stop helping them do it.

Go to HERE

For more info you can read a BBC news item on Internet Repression in China, or a detailed Amnesty report on the issue.

However there are counter arguments that the Internet, even a censored internet, is helping China develop a civil society etc.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like no one is really interested in this topic, but what the heck, posting boredom inducing posts hasn't stopped me in the past!

Human Rights Watch have published a detailed report on censorship in China and how western internet companies are helping China create and maintain the Great Firewall of China: Check out: “Race to the Bottom” Corporate Complicity in Chinese Internet Censorship

Here's the blog that alerted me to the report which summarizes and discusses it. RConverstation

The internet is becoming ever more regulated and controlled and the technologies China is using western companies to develop are spreading and allowing more and more regimes to censor information and restrict free expression.

I'm concerned by that and think people should realize how wide reaching the problem is.

It looks like no one is really interested in this topic, but what the heck, posting boredom inducing posts hasn't stopped me in the past!

Human Rights Watch have published a detailed report on censorship in China and how western internet companies are helping China create and maintain the Great Firewall of China: Check out: “Race to the Bottom” Corporate Complicity in Chinese Internet Censorship

Here's the blog that alerted me to the report which summarizes and discusses it. RConverstation

The internet is becoming ever more regulated and controlled and the technologies China is using western companies to develop are spreading and allowing more and more regimes to censor information and restrict free expression.

I'm concerned by that and think people should realize how wide reaching the problem is.

From what I gather from your previous posts and your username (obviously!) you actually live in China. Aren't you at all worried that your posts and ip address might be picked up by the authorities? Or have I been watching too much '24'?

From what I gather from your previous posts and your username (obviously!) you actually live in China. Aren't you at all worried that your posts and ip address might be picked up by the authorities? Or have I been watching too much '24'?

Don't live there at the moment, only going back and forth! Most of the stuff I've linked in here would categorically not be available in China. So I post it when I'm in the IOM!

I'm lucky in China as I can use a PC in someone's home and not use one in an internet cafe. The internal software the government insist internet cafes install would make most of Manx Forums unavailable ... no swear words, no discussion of democratic politics etc.

I'm a member of an academic newsgroup with a connected blog. This is a detailed discussion by world class academics (not me I just read it!) on Chinese laws, discussing the legal implications of new laws and regulations ... massively important for my work and understanding the Chinese legal system ... its banned in China.

I've had letters delivered to me which have been opened, had mail discussing sensitive issues go missing while an innocuous letter sent at the same time just arrived opened. I'm just a liberal bloke going about my business and wanting to learn about China ... but that has made me subject of monitoring in China ... its creepy ... if they take this type of interest in me ... what else must they be doing.

Archived