Mea Fibre

dooahhdoo

Moved it into here - issue of national importance, isn't it? :)

I've seen something in the paper but can't remember the details - must be getting old...

C&W have their own one, I doubt it'd be them..

C&W don't seem to be doing much then!, I think the hope for cheaper calls and internet is over!

So who is using the fibre now?, Wimanx?, MEA?

C&W have their own one, I doubt it'd be them..

C&W don't seem to be doing much then!, I think the hope for cheaper calls and internet is over!

So who is using the fibre now?, Wimanx?, MEA?

C&W have a fairly large capacity cable, which I think will be getting upgraded in the near future (2008 ish).

There's also a limit to how cheap broadband can be. You have to remember that out of the 29.99 odd pound you pay, 1/2 goes to MT before the ISP is even involved. So that leaves 14 odd quid for the ISP. The ISP then has to pay their over-heads for IPTransit, office space, kit, staff etc - you can see it doesn't leave much!! LLU gives ADSL access to customers for a few quid, enabling ISPs to drop their prices further... This is why BT got pressure in the UK for being a telco AND ISP because they get two lots of revenue, which is why they were heavily regulated by Ofcom.

No one is using the fibre at the minute. According to the paper the decision has been made.

Could someone explain what is so important about the fibre, am I right in thinking it runs from here to England and can carry loads of data?

How are we connected to the U.K. at the moment for comunications data transfer etc. doesn't it all goto some were in Douglas and get beamed in to space and then via sattilite around the globe?

what is its actual commercial value to any one who doesn't like on the Island?

How are we connected to the U.K. at the moment for comunications data transfer etc.

Two fibres are active, the BT cable and the Cable & Wireless cable. Local companies pay for capacity on these cables to get to the UK and Ireland. Both are apparently no where near potential capacity, but priced as if they are.

Local companies pay for capacity on these cables to get to the UK and Ireland. Both are apparently no where near potential capacity, but priced as if they are.

It really is disgustingly pathetic the way we get ripped off on the Island.

Local companies pay for capacity on these cables to get to the UK and Ireland. Both are apparently no where near potential capacity, but priced as if they are.

It really is disgustingly pathetic the way we get ripped off on the Island.

Does anyone know who the company is that has been awarded the MEA fibre optic cable operation? As it stands all the ISPs on the Island will have to go through this third party to access the capacity, so it may not mean price reductions. The only thing it may do is increase competition for C&W and BT.

Any idea who it is - stick it on here.

I'm sure it must be something to do with all this...

From 2004: "Mansat also is cooperating with the Boeing Co. of Chicago to build an Earth station on the island, Stott said."

From Dec 2005: In addition to the orbital slots licensed by the FCC, Loral has been assigned orbital slots by certain other countries. For example, we have been authorized to use numerous C-, Ku- and Ka-band orbital slots by the Isle of Man government. These Isle of Man authorizations are (1) at 15° W.L. and 47° W.L. for use of the Ka-band frequencies, and (2) at 9.9° E.L., 16.1° E.L., 22.3° E.L., 115.5° E.L., 37.5° W.L., 89° W.L., 97° W.L. and 115° W.L. for the use of C-, Ku- and Ka-band frequencies. We also have Isle of Man authorizations at 96.5° W.L. and 123.5° W.L. for Broadcast Satellite Service...

...Access to certain of these international orbital slots and authorizations are subject to our payment of various ongoing fees to the applicable licensee or licensing authority, which in the case of the Isle of Man authorizations, include a revenue-based fee that would commence at the time we place a satellite into an Isle of Man slot.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived