Manx Museum

b4mbi

Was thinking about doing some research in their archives, yet looked on MNH website and it's CLOSED on Sundays????

Wtf is that about?! :blink:

Is it another one of those things that the church has influence over, like bar george , or is there a covenant in the deeds or something???

It's utterly ridiculous that an excellent public amenity/ resourse such as the Museum is not open on a Sunday when most people who are working during the week could spend times on Sunday with their family enjoying our history ??

any clues anyone?

Was thinking about doing some research in their archives, yet looked on MNH website and it's CLOSED on Sundays????

Is it another one of those things that the church has influence over, like bar george , or is there a covenant in the deeds or something???

It's utterly ridiculous that an excellent public amenity/ resourse such as the Museum is not open on a Sunday when most people who are working during the week could spend times on Sunday with their family enjoying our history ??

any clues anyone?

Does seem a bit odd that, don't think it's anything to do with the church, perhaps staffing?

yeah, but surely close it during a week day, Tuesday or something, and they'd get a load more business in the cafe etc for afternoon teas and the like?

maybe staffing, but if you work there, then can't understand why you'd object to working on a Sunday? i.e. you're working for the love of the job, not for the cash... and surely better to have a busy museum on a sunday than empty on Tuesday (probably!) and Sunday??

maybe staffing, but if you work there, then can't understand why you'd object to working on a Sunday? i.e. you're working for the love of the job, not for the cash... and surely better to have a busy museum on a sunday than empty on Tuesday (probably!) and Sunday??

They've civil servants. What makes you think they're there for the love of the job?

There simply isn't enough need to open on a Sunday too and besides I think we should all go back to having Sunday off. It was Mrs Crowe (another of our politican-shopkeepers) who pushed for relaxing Sunday trading hours. People need a day off. Unfortunately the Isle of Man is just about money, money, money, so everyone seems to work instead of rest and time with family.

Except the MHks and herself as a MLC, and business directors etc. You don't see them working on a Sunday but it was ok for them to say "Damn I want a pint of milk or some ciggies but the shop is closed because it is Sunday"

Huh, they soon sorted that out for themselves by pretending it was a good thing for shops and places to open on a Sunday.

It's utterly ridiculous that an excellent public amenity/ resourse such as the Museum is not open on a Sunday when most people who are working during the week could spend times on Sunday with their family

That's probably exactly what the museum staff are doing!

Anyway, shouldn't you be working on a Sunday instead of being off enjoying yourself?

I don't recall the Museum ever open on Sunday - the House of Mannan etc are however.

If anything, as a regular user of the library, I'd appreciate one or two evening openings - however I havn't noticed much difference between afternoons - it can be very busy some weeks and quiet others. It has to be open all working days as it is the legal reposity of old deeds etc.

It's utterly ridiculous that someone who obviously gets their sunday off, complains about other people being entitled to get their sunday off as well. Perhaps you could voluteer to sacrifice your sunday to make sure the facility is open?

What a bollox attitude that is. Is it not also utterly ridiculous that public places are closed the same days that we get off (or should I say the majority of the population), but open on the days we are at work?

If you want to take your opinion to extremes shall we also let ambulance drivers, firefighters, doctors have Sunday off too? Are they not entitled?

It's a valid complaint from b4mbi IMO.

It's utterly ridiculous that someone who obviously gets their sunday off, complains about other people being entitled to get their sunday off as well. Perhaps you could voluteer to sacrifice your sunday to make sure the facility is open?

StuartT, your post doesn't make sense. Perhaps you could volunteer to "think" about your posts before you make them.

What is stopping me from expecting other people to work on Sunday? As slinky points out, should no-one work on a Sunday?

And why would I want to work in the Museum ? I have no need / interest to work there, nor the appropraite skills or training even if I was inclined to, it was more a question of public resource accessability.

any clues anyone?

Well, I for one work on a Saturday, thereby limiting my options to many events that take place on this fair isle.

Even though I work on a Saturday, I get Monday off. Ergo, if someone works on a Sunday, they'll be entitled to a day off in the week. If the House of Mannin, Laxey Wheel, Castle Rushen, Peel Castle, Cregneash and who knows how many other MNH sites are open on Sundays, then why not the Manx Museum?

Okay, so that's what makes the Manx Museum unique in terms of MNH sites then is it?

A few years ago, I bought a season ticket along with two friends of mine, we spent Sunday afternoons going around various MNH sites. One week, we decided to go to the Manx Museum, it was the only site we visited that didn't open on a Sunday.

Now, this may not bother most people, who work in offices, 9-5 Monday - Friday but, lots of people who don't can't access such facilities and in my mind, that's wrong.

Heh, maybe we should shut the shops on Saturday's too, see how the masses like that eh?

Archived