[BBC News]Hunt on for missing schoolgirls

Newsbot

I was going through Onchan 2day at about 3.00/4.00am and noticed 3 Police vehicles Driving about as though they were looking for someone, I never heard anything on the radio about it and they must have been looking for someone as they didnt bother to follow me for once.

Standard procedure, I gather, when kids in care don't come home at night is just to report it to the Police.

There was no mention of them being in care was there?

There doesn't need to be. How many times do you hear on the radio about kids missing from home (which can include a care home)? Its very frequent, and I do know that it is standard procedure to notify police of kids in care that don't come back to the unit when expected. This was covered in the child care inquiry about how the social services agencies pass the buck to the police who are not really equipped to fulfill the role that the agencies should fulfill in loco parentis, i.e. go out and look for the child and make sure he/she is really missing before alerting the plods!

Yes glad to hear it, but I didn't really expect anything else! These children aren't really 'missing', but the system that is looking after them is inadequate and flawed. Sadly, the problem with this is the old 'boy who cried wolf' factor.

Seeing as the article was published on Thursday and said "have not been seen since Tuesday evening." I think any child missing from home for over 24 hours would be reported, whether in care or not. I don't see what this particular article had to do with social services care homes, there was no mention of the children being in care so why bring it up. The main thing is they are safe so thankfully all is well.

There was a few kids hanging around the Cat with no Tail this morning at 5.30am, It wouldnt surprise me if they were from the care home.

My mate use to work at Leece lodge (my old house in the late 70's) where the 2 kids were murdered and had to leave the job as he had no control over them and sometimes they never came home for days, its bloody crazy.

Seeing as the article was published on Thursday and said "have not been seen since Tuesday evening." I think any child missing from home for over 24 hours would be reported, whether in care or not. I don't see what this particular article had to do with social services care homes, there was no mention of the children being in care so why bring it up. The main thing is they are safe so thankfully all is well.

The reason I bring it up, Minxie, is because it is a symptom of the ineffective child care system that we have over here.

When I first moved back and heard a report of a child being missing, my heart missed a beat as I thought "Good God, I had hoped the IOM would be a safe place for children". Then a couple of months' later another report, and then another.

Now, at no time were there teams of police and volunteers scouring the site of the last sighting of these missing children, so I wondered why is this happening? If they are really missing why aren't posters put up, appeals for information made over the radio, searches made, etc. etc.?

Then I learn from a very reliable source that the standard procedure for children in care that do not return when expected is to report them as missing to the police, probably after completing one or two cursory checks. Thus passing the buck from the care agency to the police.

My point is not that children in care do not deserve the same regard as those in traditional family units, but quite the reverse; it is a symptom of the lack of proper care and control inherent in the care system that has resulted/contributed to some recent tragedies as the inquiry has demonstrated.

Archived