• Created
  • Last Reply
My guess on will be putting a CV in :

Juan Turner

Beth Esphy

Stewart Peters

and the Manx Radio dog

How much does it pay?

Your guess is as accurate as your spelling...

Woefully needed - as much as I welcome it, the BBC Isle of Man News section is pretty thin and slow to respond.

Very strange to base it at Manx Radio, perhaps the start of BBC Manx Radio? :P

I wonder does that have something to do with the Govt putting pressure on the Corp to over the licence fee. The Beeb may have tried to blag them about the cost of setting up here, and the Govt called their bluff, saying they could use the facilities they subsidise at MR?

I don't think you are far wrong Declan. David North (chairman of the MR board) was on Mannin Line today and intimated the very same. Seems to be a positive as far as MR (or at least Mr North) are concerned. Let's just wait and see. But we will know that is is merely a sop by the BBC if MCB gets a job; how far can investigative journalism go with dog dirt, Douglas Corpie and wild goose chases!?

Cor, I'm a newshound and I start my sentances with capitals:

https://jobs.bbc.co.uk/jobportal/search/vacancy.aspx?id=9417

"Formal journalistic training is not essential but candidates should be able to demonstrate a strong news sense along with an awareness of what makes a good story and how to develop it for the Internet"

This bit says it all.

Dont expect to see Manx news in 'vision' on the BBC, nor hear much Manx news in 'audio' on the BBC.

Its just a geek position, to try and keep us happy, to make room for some Manx stories on the digital BBC broacast medium. By Digital Broadcast Medium they dont mean DAB, DTV - just the internet.

The whole BBC MR thing has had me wondering since the MR 're-launch'. Just after the BBC suits came to the island if I remember rightly, just before the BBCMR thought it would be a good idea if the 'moaning line' was dropped - in return for some BBC input??? Also, about the same time as MR started interviewing people from its 'London Studio'.

How much is this 'London Studio' time costing MR? and if its big money its about time they interviewed someone with something good to say - not just "This time of year you can great fruit from the local supermarket" type of thing, because here - you cannot.

The 'London Studio' also needs a big sign in it that says "The Isle of Man - IS the mainland"

Who is paying the bill for the London Studio, and MR staff trips across to the BBC to have their chip changed for training.?

You would hope they would be looking for trained qualified journalists, surely? Not just someone vaguely ineterested in current affairs...

"BBC ENGLISH REGIONS - JOB SPECIFICATION

Broadcast Journalists x 2

Isle of Man

Continuing contracts

The BBC is looking for two people to work as local Broadcast Journalists in the Isle of Man. Duties will include sourcing and creating text, audio and video material for the Isle of Man Where I Live website and providing material as appropriate for regional/local TV and radio outlets. Good writing skills are essential alongside an ability to build and develop contacts in diverse communities and a creative approach to story telling. The successful applicants will be expected to live on the island and the job will be filled in accordance with Isle of Man employment law.

Job Designation: Broadcast Journalist (WiL)

Grade: 05/7D

To include: Web Producers

Works to: Senior Broadcast Journalist

Job Purpose

To initiate and produce a rich variety of online content for a ‘Where I Live’ website."

It's basically just a web journalist, I cannot imagine Juan Turner giving up his own radio station for this position, nor can I imagine Beth Espey applying as it's not a glamorous presenter’s job.

surely the salient word is journalist - so this would surely differentiate whoever is hired from those who work in the press or on the local radio at present as all they are reporters..maybe the journalists will research and investigate instead of just dealing with copy and press releases as they do...

You would hope they would be looking for trained qualified journalists, surely? Not just someone vaguely ineterested in current affairs...

"BBC ENGLISH REGIONS - JOB SPECIFICATION

Broadcast Journalists x 2

Isle of Man

Continuing contracts

The BBC is looking for two people to work as local Broadcast Journalists in the Isle of Man. Duties will include sourcing and creating text, audio and video material for the Isle of Man Where I Live website and providing material as appropriate for regional/local TV and radio outlets. Good writing skills are essential alongside an ability to build and develop contacts in diverse communities and a creative approach to story telling. The successful applicants will be expected to live on the island and the job will be filled in accordance with Isle of Man employment law.

Job Designation: Broadcast Journalist (WiL)

Grade: 05/7D

To include: Web Producers

Works to: Senior Broadcast Journalist

Job Purpose

To initiate and produce a rich variety of online content for a ‘Where I Live’ website."

It's basically just a web journalist, I cannot imagine Juan Turner giving up his own radio station for this position, nor can I imagine Beth Espey applying as it's not a glamorous presenter’s job.

surely the salient word is journalist - so this would surely differentiate whoever is hired from those who work in the press or on the local radio at present as all they are reporters..maybe the journalists will research and investigate instead of just dealing with copy and press releases as they do...

What a B£llend you are MCB

Archived