Tt Homestay

stookie

I was thinking of doing my 'civic duty' (as all the hype would have me believe) by making available my spare bedroom/bathroom for homestay next year until I read that there's a maximum of 20-odd quid per person max (if I understand the details correctly).

That means if I put up two people in (relative) luxury in a home 50 yards from a popular viewing spot for the full 14 days I would earn around £700 before costs of breakfast, cleaning, etc. Sorry, but that's a fraction of what I'd need to risk loss or damage to anything in my property or incur the disruption playing host to a couple of strangers would mean. The tourist board had better start learning about the laws of supply and demand if it's going to make any ground on this subject.

Sorry if this has already been covered.

I was under the impression that being part of the home stay project gave you free insurance? And as you can stick 2 people in most rooms thats £40 a night.

I enquired about homestay last year, but as my spare rooms are on the 2nd floor, we can't partake, unless we rip out the doors and replace with fire doors, and stick fire extinguishers in them all, which makes it kinda uneconomic, especially as you are very unlikely to get guests for the entire 14 days, more like 7.

Of course, you could always advertise yourself independantly on the relevant websites, and take you chances on the insurance......

Stookie, if £700 is just a fraction of what you think it's worth then you're best not doing Home stay.

I have Germans here each year and we have great fun.

For me it's not how much money, it's how much fun I can have

If you are counting every penny then you will not enjoy it, will you?

£700 for having someone use your spare room for 2 weeks, seems more than fair to me - I mean how much do you expect to get for letting somebody having a sleep - they are out all day.

I remember once we gave a biker the spare room for a couple of nights, for free - cos we felt sorry for him in the pouring rain. He did offer money, but we didn't want it.

homestay is all about helping out some of the great visitors who we get over at TT week, it's not about making money for most people who take part in it. If you're looking at it in terms of how much money you can make then you're probably best not bothering at all.

I checked the website and I have to arrange insurance for my home and contents which would only compensate me for things I can replace of course. The government covers you for public liability only.

If it's guaranteed that I will have pleasant visitors, that's fine and I know others who have been lucky in that respect, but it seems to me with all the hype over the centenary there's no telling who will turn up for some cheap accommodation - and £40 a night for two people bed and breakfast is very cheap!

Apparently it's illegal not to register under the Tourism Act if you are accommodating paying guests and the homestay scheme allows you not to observe the usual fire requirements subject to certain criteria.

It's not that I'm counting the pennies as I don't need the money, it's just that I'm doing what a lot of people will do - the maths - and maybe reach the same conclusion which is "why bother?"

This year I put up two new friends in my spare rooms, they insisted in helping with my heating bill and bought there own food. I only saw them in the morning and they came in quietly at night. 7 days of not even knowing they were there.

I did enquire once of homestay, all rooms on the ground floor, own bathroom, breakfast and evening meal if required, all for £20 max. Name me one B&B where you would get that type of service for that money.

And, you have to pay £8 for the privilege.

I checked the website and I have to arrange insurance for my home and contents which would only compensate me for things I can replace of course. The government covers you for public liability only.

If it's guaranteed that I will have pleasant visitors, that's fine and I know others who have been lucky in that respect, but it seems to me with all the hype over the centenary there's no telling who will turn up for some cheap accommodation - and £40 a night for two people bed and breakfast is very cheap!

Apparently it's illegal not to register under the Tourism Act if you are accommodating paying guests and the homestay scheme allows you not to observe the usual fire requirements subject to certain criteria.

It's not that I'm counting the pennies as I don't need the money, it's just that I'm doing what a lot of people will do - the maths - and maybe reach the same conclusion which is "why bother?"

Why dont you just forget about it, greed seems to be part of your wants, if your not part of the party then fuck off

it's cheaper than a B&B because they are not comparable.

They don't know what shit-hole their going to stay in....there won't be the same kind of services etc etc.

All you've got to do is do them a breakfast once a day and clean the room.

Nice tax-free money.

Homestay is tax free upto £750, you have to provide breakfast, but no other meal, the room has to have wardrobe space and drawer space etc, thats why they come and check. Rooms can't be any higher than the first floor without fire escapes, or fire doors etc. It is illegal to accept paying guests without registering, but I think there may be worse laws to break......

As for not having nice visitors, I've never heard of anyone not having any? I had someone stay this year for the first time (freebie, relatives in a bike club had promised a friend accomodation, then couldn't deliver due to unforeseen circumstances), and they were an absolute pleasure. It was really nice to see their pleasure in seeing the island for the first time, and it felt like an honour to introduce them to what we perhaps take for granted.

It is a great deal more than sticking a few quid in your back pocket generally I think.

Quote Why dont you just forget about it, greed seems to be part of your wants, if your not part of the party then fuck off unquote

Theskeat - do you live on the Isle of Man?

What I'm saying is there isn't enough incentive for me to be bothered to take the chance and I may not be the ony person who thinks that; especially if the visitors might be as discourteous as you!

Quote Why dont you just forget about it, greed seems to be part of your wants, if your not part of the party then fuck off unquote

Theskeat - do you live on the Isle of Man?

What I'm saying is there isn't enough incentive for me to be bothered to take the chance and I may not be the ony person who thinks that; especially if the visitors might be as discourteous as you!

You must understand that Theskeat is a tragic figure.

Firstly, he appears to have some form of schizophrenia - one that requires him to post in two separate (though remarkably similar) identities.

He also seems somewhat delusional in that he appears to think that he owns the TT and that it couldn't possibly continue without him.

He is, however, one of the few people who believes that everyone's against him, but who is not actually paranoid.

Other than that, he's just a normal, average, local poster.

Archived