The Islands Fav Radio Station

manxmedia

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Energy FM pulled out of Rajar as they weren't happy with the number of people sampled (works out at 150 people per quarter here on the island) so you won't get related figures for us. Our name doesn't appear in the latest diary stickers.

£12,000 to be in rajar? The money is better spent on providing the best radio advertising rates, charity and community resources.

it's just over 600 people sampled per year which is not good, needs to be more like 6000 for a clearer picture.

so if you divide the islands population by 150 then you know what one persons diary represents per quarter.

eg 1 person saying they listen to radio 2 then projects to 533.3 people on the island listening to radio 2, It's a rediculous sample rate.

I'm sorry that we won't get a chance to see all the radio stations data.

Up to now all the stations keep telling us "we're number one!!" etc. I thought this would finally be backed up with figures.

I'm I right in thinking the data for Energy is still being collected until the end of the year by RAJAR but the station has asked them not to publish it. How bad can the results be? Surely the other two outfits are going to use this as a weapon with potential advertisers on Energy? You know "why would you want to spend money with them they don't even want you to know who's tuned into the station - just look at our listener numbers....

I hope the station can find its audience. Maybe they should go back to being the youth/KiK FM station again. For what's its worth I enjoy most of the output.

People know what they hear when they are in shops, garages, what they see.

People know how this sample rate is clearly not enough for anything near accurate figures.

We did very well within our target market during the last period but still we asked rajar to sample a much larger section, as we had for the previos periods to that.

Manx radio have awesome rajar figures as their target market is 0 to the oldest tortoise on the earth, so they quote rajar all the time, doesn't mean it's right for the advertiser.

Energy have not asked rajar to withhold anything.

Energy pulled out of rajar so they are not collating data for us, there is a huge amount of time and paperwork per station (thousands of pages of figures and useless breakdowns) so they are hardly going to do it for free.

Just to clear up a few points here.

1 - The sample size is NOT the issue. It's all relative to the survey area which for the Island is 65,000 adults 15+

2 - The age groups the diaries are given to is NOT an issue. As there is an older population on the Island you would expect more diaries to go to that age group.

3 - Energy FM will always be in RAJAR even if they don't subscribe. They are listed as 'other local commercial'. As they are the only other 'local' station on the Island just ask your friendly sales rep at Manx or 3FM to show you the figures.

Happy listening!

For those who complain about the TV licence and have no choice, what about Manx Radio. How much does that cost per taxpayer to subsidise and give us a load of rubbish.

I wish I could organise my morning alarm clock so it a) wakes up the missus, B) switches off, c) comes on for the news and weather (minus that pretentious twit doing his interminable yada, yada, yada, yada and then again in Manx), d) goes off again, e) wakes me up again to get dressed f) switches off again so I don't have to listen to that pretentious......

Despite the fact that I would pay to be allowed to strangle most of the DJs for talking over the music, I consider MR to be a fine local station, been listening since circa 1971.

Play music, then talk, then play music - what's so difficult with that concept ? :P

Translation: We finished last so we don't want to play anymore.

:lol: my thoughts exactly

so its

1 manx radio

2 3FM

3 energy fm

I listen to 3FM,but sometimes manx for local weather (3FMs weather report is rubbish!) and news. most shops I go in seem to have 3FM on.

Just to clear up a few points here.

1 - The sample size is NOT the issue. It's all relative to the survey area which for the Island is 65,000 adults 15+

OK, so an average of 150 diaries per quarter out of 65,000 residents is a good sample size? 1 person representing the listening habits of 433.3 persons on the island. Get real.

I bet you there is 400 people in strand street right now, one of them listens to classic FM, so that means for survey's sake there's a good chance they all do?

Radio Advertising is shite. End of. No matter who it's with...

Don't agree with you although I would like to see and end to the commerical interviews with the jewellers - they must think the residents are a load of thickos :angry: .

Archived