The Islands Fav Radio Station

manxmedia

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there is a huge amount of time and paperwork per station (thousands of pages of figures and useless breakdowns) so they are hardly going to do it for free.

Hardly useless breakdowns. It's there for a damn good reason. A friend of mine works in a large station across and says successful radio programmers use the minute detail provided to see where their weak spots are compared to their competitors, and then address them. Of course, this also means they can take advantage of their competitors weak spots!

I'm sure the current system has it's faults (one of them being stations who can't be bothered interpreting and acting upon the data they've paid for!) but as the sample size is relative to each survey area, it is therefore the sword that over 200 stations across the country live and die by.

If you accept the figures as being true when they're good, you've got to accept them when it doesn't show what you want them to show.

Why don't they just put stuff like this on an annual form and deliver it to all households?

I've never liked the way they do tv figures / radio figures, chances are the diaries go out to people that don't work / are retired as they're most likely to be in Strand Street during the day. Give everyone a voice, it's the only fair way I think.

Also, with broadband coming into the hands of more and more people, online listening habits should be taken into account. How many people listen online / view tv online?

Oh and FWIW, we have Energy on at work all day, every day.

When you were asleep one night they broke into your gaff, car and work. They turned all your radios on and noted what they were tunned into. In a number of cases they even downloaded the cache of peoples PCs to see what they listened to on-line.

I knew what they were doing and re-tuned all mine before I went to bed that night.

I did too..and then this lady came round and gave me a booklet / diary thing to fill in every day as to what i listened to....

der... hasn't all about RAJAR been on a thread before???

Without wanting to add fuel to the fire I've just remembered the "Radio TT gate" thing earlier this year.

It was JT "100 Market Street" that was happy to publish on the Internet the RAJAR figures for Manx Radio. Claiming that they where lossing audience on each survey. Have these people gone to 3FM more than Energy???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_poll#..._for_inaccuracy

Sample size seems fine to me.

Face it - Energy should have stuck to their market of 15-24 year olds like they were supposed to.

The whole radio industry uses RAJAR. Fair play, it's not perfect, but it's the best measure you're likely to get.

If I was an advertiser, I'd be going with Manx and 3FM, even if I think what they output is fairly dire.

BTW, I prefer Energy to them all!

I've never liked the way they do tv figures / radio figures, chances are the diaries go out to people that don't work / are retired as they're most likely to be in Strand Street during the day. Give everyone a voice, it's the only fair way I think.

Nitpicking but the TV ones aren't done with diaries :)

Sounds like sour grapes to me after citing the RAJAR figures in their radioTT website rip.

Shame Energy are throwing a strop over the figures. Seems to be a case of shooting the messenger.

But the bigger shame is they are losing out to the awful 3fm. Why on Earth do people listen to it? Thank God for my iPod so I don't have to hear it in shops.

RAJAR seem to be the "official" body on reporting viewing figures, so no point shooting the messenger if you don't like the news.

My own listening habits tend to wander between Radio 4 & Manx Radio.

I tune into MR for local news & weather - as the RAJAR figures would probably indicate - the other local stations don't come anywhere near MR for news, weather and "community" programming.

Play music for a limited audience, you're going to get listening figures that reflect that data - accept it, stop crying about it.

Archived