Standing For Chief Minister

manxchatterbox

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But he is playing hide and seek...

Only because any more demanding game would exceed his intellectual capacity.

I expect she can manage the hiding part, but I think the seeking bit may be beyond her. All she'd do is start a thread asking "Are they hiding behind the curtains? Are they in the airing cupboard? Under the bed? The loft?" Then it would be up to us to point out they'd probably all sneeked out of the party while she her eyes were closed and she was trying to count up to 100.

Question :blush:

If a prospective MHK declares him/herself as a possible candidate for Chief Minister, does this not slightly distance them from their constituents who put them there in the first place?

Let's be honest they are going to be a whole lot busier than most ordinary members and that means that parish pump politics (which most MHK's get very involved in) is going to be non existent.

Just a thought!

Last 10

Question :blush:

If a prospective MHK declares him/herself as a possible candidate for Chief Minister, does this not slightly distance them from their constituents who put them there in the first place?

Let's be honest they are going to be a whole lot busier than most ordinary members and that means that parish pump politics (which most MHK's get very involved in) is going to be non existent.

Just a thought!

Last 10

To be fair, I think he explained that that was one of the reasons for announcing his intentions. After all, it has to be better than voting for someone on the basis that they are a good constituency representative - and then discovering that they've been selected for the kind of position that may reduce their ability to do constituency work.

When asked, David Callister seemed to doubt very, very much that a member of the Legislative Council could become Chief Minister.

I thought this was a strange reaction, considering that Donald Gelling was elected to Chief Minister from being a member of the Legislative Council.

David Callister's comments don't really surprise me, if Keys cannot find a suitable candidate and have to go to Legislative Council its a pretty damning indictment of the skills of those elected by the public if they have to select an unelected person on the basis that they are more suited to the job.

If the public can't be trusted to vote in someone (one out of 33) responsible enough to be CM, why let them vote for anyone?

(In relation to DG: At least he was in Legislative Council following a public vote. It just so happened that he shifted from Keys to Legislative Council in the meantime. That is as far as you can probably take it because after 5 years that elected status changes - assuming they don't do a Dominic and get re-election as an MHK!)

(In relation to DG: At least he was in Legislative Council following a public vote. It just so happened that he shifted from Keys to Legislative Council in the meantime. That is as far as you can probably take it because after 5 years that elected status changes - assuming they don't do a Dominic and get re-election as an MHK!)

Surely Donald Gelling's 'elected' status changed when some one else was elected in by the public and given his job?

Same with Alex Downie etc.

Time things changed I think.

. . . assuming they don't do a Dominic and get re-election as an MHK!

IMO Dominic Delaney was courageous to put himself up for election to the House of Keys after being ousted from the Legislative Council by his former MHK colleagues. He successfully made a point that at least he was a member of Tynwald by way of direct popular election. I have bags of respect for him on that.

Incidentally, over 90 years ago the House of Keys had resolved a policy to have the Legislative Council members electeded by the great unwashed, but of course this had to be agreed by the Legislative Council themselves. The phrase 'turkeys voing for Christmas' was probably bandied about in those days too!! In those days they had 8 year terms and the Governor seemed to be the greatest influence in their call to duty.

And Lassie has a licence to crap in the garden of roses, Come on Mr Shimmin is still wet behind the ears when it comes to politics

And your alternative would be....?

Seriously . . . well half seriously anyway:

There's not a lot of choice really is there? Someone will have to go for CM - Shimmin, Cannan, Karran ( :) ), Bell, Rodan?

An alternative could be for Dudley Butt MLC to resign and put himself up at the next election as MHK and then for Chief Minister.

However, some years ago an MLC put himself up for election as MHK and resigned on the eve of an election but come the count was defeated by a few votes - so a bit risky!

When you consider that the Chief Minister will have the backing of all his chosen Ministers when the house has a vote, and bear in mind there will be a few of each Minister's Departmental members amonst the rest of them (ie deputy ministers), then we are entering an area almost of a quasi dictatorship. (I use the words 'almost' and 'quasi' quite intentionally to keep me some establishment credibility).

The Legislative Council is supposed to 'oversee' the law making and proceedings in our Government but how can it if there are Ministers amongst them? (Who of course would also sit in on the Council of Ministers cosy meetings).

And when you further consider (I could go on and on . . !) the farce that takes place when the House of Keys attempts to elect those people onto the Legislative Council then our Government loses further credibility. Over ten years ago Hazel Hannan MHK, clearly sick of the farcical proceedings and continued repetitive worthless balloting, called it an "old antiquated system". After many ballots to try and find someone suitable to be on the Legislative Council (the SAME THREE NAMES again and again being balloted until a result came up!!!!) the late John Corrin MHK proclaimed "we are scraping the barrel here". Sometimes I reckon John Corrin never said more apt words, Hazel too when I think about it.

Archived