Electric Shock

Theskeat

So that will take me 130 years to see a financial benefit then? I hope those figures are wrong. I really do.

The costs of solar will come down and the cost of oil etc will continue to rise.

Although i still doesn't look that good, Even if it takes 70 years its not worth it.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So that will take me 130 years to see a financial benefit then? I hope those figures are wrong. I really do.

The costs of solar will come down and the cost of oil etc will continue to rise.

Although i still doesn't look that good, Even if it takes 70 years its not worth it.

Although on the basis that the panels would form, I presume, an intrinsic part of the property, if you ever came to sell the house you could pass on some on that cost as a benefit to the purchaser.

The sums dont seem to add up at the moment unless you are prepared to make that kind of financial sacrifice for a cleaner social conscience?!?!

How can it cost so much for a solar panel though!

I'm guessing its because of the copper price boom that its so expensive, Till we find a better material than copper prices could remain high for awhile.

I got my gas bill today and it shows no increase as yet.

HOWEVER, I would imagine that Manx Gas will pass on the Full increase onto the customer as they have in the past.

British Gas has made the UK headlines lately due to them increasing their prices so much when in fact their Parent Company made vast profits last year, and rightly so.

Manx Gas, owned by Babcock and Brown, has and will increase it's prices, imo, even though it's Parent Company also made vast profits last year. We've not heard a thing Locally to question this.

The main differance though is that British Gas, apparently, reduced it's profit margins to it's customers to the extent at one time they ran at cost whilst Manx Gas smoke screened yet again and only passed on the benifit of the zero tax concessions given by the IOM Government with no cut in the profit margins it seems.

Eddie Teare has mentioned that they were looking into different types of Tarriff set up and other ways to make it easier on the consumer whilst Manx Gas still has to make any changes to their Tarriff structure to make them in any way, shape or form compatible to any offer availible in the UK. The main reason why is it's a Monopoly here as stated on Babcock and Browns webby.

It does seem that the MEA are at least trying to keep the cost rise down and I hope Eddie, god help him, he's seems a genuine bloke but is he in for a rough ride, doesn't get slaughtered for trying his best at whipping a dead donkey.

Was the Government not warned by the Manufacturing sector on the Island that any further rises in electricity would end up in job loses. China and India must be laughing all the way to the banks knowing that the UK cant compete due to fuel prices

The MEA and Manx Gas monopolies, monolpolies always rip people off, why shouldn't they, no other competition! I would be very,very surprised if they are not!

Which is why the MEA is a state owned company and why there are such things as the Office of Fair Trading are tasked to monitor energy prices.

Unregulated private monopolies able to generate monopoly profits are extremely extremely rare.

the Office of Fair Trading are tasked to monitor energy prices.

Then how are we still waiting for the report nearly a year later ?

And as stated, a report, nothing as yet in any Monitoring.

Unregulated private monopolies able to generate monopoly profits are extremely extremely rare.

But then the Manx Cat is very rare but both are found and seem to be fairing well in the Isle of man.

Thanks LW, but isn't it a comparison of UK prices. They may be a guide, but the prices we pay here are skewed by other factors.

To the best of my knowledge it is the only credible means people have to make absolute price comparisons.

If, as you say, IOM prices are skewed by other factors we would at least be in a position to gauge a measure of how much those other factors are costing us.

Armed with a few facts we might just be able to make the distinction between style and substance when confronted with some of the nonsense talked about prices on the Island.

Does the IOM Government have the power (excuse pun) to reduce the 5% VAT on gas & electric, to zero or are they tied into some agreement with the UK through the Customs agreements?

With these huge increases Alan Bells Treasury will see a big rise in the revenue received.

I think the recent spouting by an MHK about Tynwald debating price increases (or not, due to the summer recess), as they can hardly have any effect on global gas prices, just add more hot air !

... or just an opportunity for self-publicity in the run up to election :)

Archived