Two Charity Events Last Weekend - Your Views

sausage

Two events happened this weekend billed as charity events in aid of Craigs Heartstrong foundation, a very worthwhile cause.

Number 1 was a football match organised by Lee Watson who has organised many similar charity events

Number 2 was Stars In Their Eyes organised by Scott Christian who organises this one event each year

Both events cost £12.50 or £7.50 admission

100 % of that ticket money plus all other funds raised from the stars in their eyes event went to the charity

However if you went to the football match only 6-8 % of your money went to the charity

Would like your views on the events ?

Do you think the pricing and contributions to the charity is fair ?

Do you think some people would be duped by the fact both were billed as charity events but there is such a huge disparity in contributions from ticket prices ?

Where does the rest of the money from this football match go ?

Does the organiser of the football match make any money ?

Cheers

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's also worth pointing out that the football match had posters advertising John Barnes, Ian Rush and Lee Sharpe ...... none of which were playing :( (which I discovered having paid £25 for my partner and I to stand in the chuffin' rain watching a player from St. Georges score a hat-trick)

Oh well at least £2.00 went to charity ....... oh right, I see your point sausage :o

I think the organisers could be described as 'shrewd' .... is that the word ?!

I think it's also worth pointing out that the football match had posters advertising John Barnes, Ian Rush and Lee Sharpe ...... none of which were playing :( (which I discovered having paid £25 for my partner and I to stand in the chuffin' rain watching a player from St. Georges score a hat-trick)

Oh well at least £2.00 went to charity ....... oh right, I see your point sausage :o

I think the organisers could be described as 'shrewd' .... is that the word ?!

Shrewd indeed. Although knowing the promoter and his track record of celebrities not turning up as promised there may be better words to describe those who parted with their hard earned cash.....

So three of the main big names didnt turn up ?!!!

I wasnt aware of that. To be honest I really do think that takes the mickey.

I have also heard of the promoter pulling similar stunts.

It has to be false advertising. I think those that attended under false pretences should be able to demand a portion of their entrance fee back and then they could donate the whole lot to Craigs Heartstrong Foundation.

Would be very interesting to see a full detailed breakdown of costs from these 'charity' events !!

The 'promoter' has it covered by printing an availibility clause on the promotional literature and the ticket.

Although, I think there also should have been a clause stating that the promoter themselves, was going to play and do a rather impressive 'fat' Chris Waddle impression.

Quite simply for Lee Watson to earn money of the back of a very worthwhile Charity via false pretences is nothing short of shocking. The fact many of the 'stars" didn't turn up is just par for the course with this shyster. How he repeatedly gets away with it beggers belief.

Hats off to Mr Christian for a tremendous show and large 100% donation.

It acutally says on the match ticket "£1 per adult ticket goes toward Craigs heartstrong foundation"

It doesnt say anywhere its a charity match or that 100% of proceeds go to charity so dont see what the issue is

Hate to disagree but it was billed in various media streams as a charity football match and there was no mention of the very small donation

It acutally says on the match ticket "£1 per adult ticket goes toward Craigs heartstrong foundation"

It doesnt say anywhere its a charity match or that 100% of proceeds go to charity so dont see what the issue is

Hate to disagree but it was billed in various media streams as a charity football match and there was no mention of the very small donation

Sausage: Having spoken to one of the guys from the shop I think you need to understand a point. On NONE of the literature ie tickets programmes etc, was the event billed as a charity event. To the best of their knowledge the only time it was billed as a charity event was once in error by the Courier.

As a further example while being interviewed by Tim Glover, live on manx radio, Lee corrected him confirming that it was not a charity football match.

Sausage, I seriously think that you need to investigate your claims (phone the shop for all the info) before posting them on a public forum. That said I understand the confusion as the paper incorrectly said it was a charity match.

PM is you are after any further info

So it was referred to as a charity match in the newspaper and on the radio

But that was an accident or a mistake so its ok

Come on !!!!

Guarantee that at least one person who went to that match a) wanted to see the stars that were billed and B) thought more than a measly quid of their money would go to the charity.

So if it wasnt a charity match I assume the key driver was to generate revenue for the organiser ?

So if it wasnt a charity match I assume the key driver was to generate revenue for the organiser ?

And the problem with that is.......

If I go to see a band at a concert, I might reasonably expect that someone is going to gain financially.

If I go to see a football match in the UK, I might reasonably expect that someone is going to gain financially.

If I go to the pub.................

If I go to the shop...............

And so on, and so on.............................

Businesses exist to make money. The 'thrust' of this thread was that people were somehow misled thinking it was a charity match and ,therefore, all of the proceeds would go to charity. It's already been stated that it was never advertised as a charity match.

Ergo, end of invalid argument.

Guessing you didnt read the previous posts very closely.

It WAS advertised on the radio as a charity event. It WAS advertised on the radio as a charity event.

In fact if you venture to your newsagents today and pick up the Manx Independent you will see that it is once again referred to as a charity football match.

Misleading if you ask me. As said previously and judging by the nature of previous threads, I think at least some people feel a little uncomfortable about this 'CHARITY' banner applied to the events by this organiser.

I am sure the media dont just decide to call it a charity event, they must be prompted from someone.

He aint getting a penny of my money anyway !

Archived