Right Of Way?

Manxman27

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there was no traffic island, it would clearly be the red car, which is turning left, rather than the blue one, which is turning right across the stream of traffic. Therefore, in the absence of any 'Give Way markings, I would suggest that the same rule would apply.

but on the other hand, ......

if it is a two lane road and the right hand lane is clear and blockages in the left lane with parked vehicles it would be the blue car has priority, likewise a filter situation you give way to the right like a roundabout as the red car effectively have to filter into the right lane

I would have though the Blue Car has Right of Way due to the fact you're taught to Give Way to the right in your driving lessons and it is in the Highway Code as such.

Due to the traffic island I think it is a filter situation and the red car should give way to their right.

Due to the obvious confusion this can cause I normally try to time it so that the red car gets to go and I slip in behind them, but this morning there were two cars coming up Prospect Hill and turning left in to Atholl Street, I slipped in behind the first one and expected the second one to give way to me.

There was no accident but I was wondering what other people thought about this junction.

I may well be wrong but the traffic island isn't a roundabout so surely giving way to the right doesn't apply.

If it is the case that the red car should be giving way then surely people could just not indicate left so the blue car thinks they're going straight on, hence, the red car gets in first.

Basically, if that system is correct then it could just encourage further bad driving.

post-200-1154683354_thumb.jpg

I don't know but I like the diagram. I realise it is basic enough for people with the right skills and software, what did you use to draw it?

Good to see a post with a bit of effort behind it!

A tricky one, but I would say legally the blue car as the highway code advocates giving way to vehicles approaching from the right. Also, having crossed the traffic, if the blue car gave way it could lead to traffic congestion if there were vehicles following.

Whatever the legalities, both should take care and not assume right of way!

I don't know but I like the diagram. I realise it is basic enough for people with the right skills and software, what did you use to draw it?

Thanks, Photoshop and I stole the cars of google image search :)

Looks like after initial votes in favour of the red car the blue car has caught up so we are nearly 50/50.

I think I will just try to avoid this happening in future just to be on the safe side.

Where are all those IAM members when you need them or SID?

The red car has right of way. The traffic island is confusing matters, but if it wasn't there you wouldn't even question who has right of way. The two vehicles are moving onto a single carriageway one way road, same as if they were turning onto Demesme Road.

Archived