Right Of Way?

Manxman27

The same rule applies as if there were no triangle at the end of the junction. Those approaching and turning left have right of way over those turning right. It is simply a T-Junction with a bit of road furniture on it. It is not a traffic island in the sense of a roundabout.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the illustration below who has right of way?

post-200-1154683354_thumb.jpg

The red car is coming up Prospect Hill turning left in to Atholl Street.

The blue car is coming down Prospect Hill turning right at the traffic lights in to Atholl Street.

Its down to any road markings for this one.

The Red car should approach a set of give way or stop markings on the exit of the island. It has in effect left the main carriage way during its left turn move - and joining the new road. The Blue car is still on the main carriage way, even though it its turning right.

Anything else renders the blue car to become stuck in opposing traffic. (unless a box junction is included in which case he cannot enter unless his exit is clear) He can however stop in the box junction to perform his move providing he does not block the opposite traffic flow.

If the island was not there - then the Red car would not have left the carriage way and so the Blue car has to give way as it is then crossing the carriage way to perform its move.

If these or any markings are not there then DoT has failed to mark them - or leave a suitable substitute sign to that effect. If there was an accident then DoT is liable by failing in their duty of care to ensure adequate road markings.

The red car has right of way.

The blue car will be crossing his carrigeway and should give way ,also he can not proceed onto the pedestrian crossing unless his exit is clear. The red caris almost in a filter lane as there are no road markings on the turn into athol st and he never actually gets as far as the pedestrian crossing.

If there was an accident then DoT is liable

Not so. In the absence of any markings designating right of way, which imo are not required here anyway, it should be treated as a t-junction and the usual rules adhered to. A central reservation being present does not change this. The junction of Prospect Hill and Hill Street is exactly the same as this just without a central reservation.

I'd say the red car.

If the silly little island wasn't there then it would definately be the red car that has right of way. Does the island change that in any way? It's not a roundabout.

Having said that I am ware the some "blue cars" think they have right of way so it pays to be careful. There's often broken glass there so there have been a few coming togethers.

I was tempted to contact the DOT / Police about it once, after a close shave at that junction, but never got around to it

yes but the traffic island IS there and for a reason,the blue car is turning onto a road and the red car has to then join that road whilse giving way to traffic already on it

The reason the traffic island is there, is simply to make it easier for pedestrians to cross the road. It makes no difference to the traffic.

Also, you're making an assumption that the blue car is on Athol Street *prior* to the red car performing it's manouvre, which is not the given scenario.

Also, you're making an assumption that the blue car is on Athol Street *prior* to the red car performing it's manouvre, which is not the given scenario.

The blue car has clearly crossed the white line of the traffic lights, crossed the oncoming lane and is on Athol Street, the illustration shows that if the cars are travelling at the same speed the blue one is slightly ahead on the road and therefore commited to the maneuver. As someone else stated, if the blue car had to stop, that could cause a car following the blue car to be stopped across the traffic light junction.

The blue car has clearly crossed the white line of the traffic lights, crossed the oncoming lane and is on Athol Street, the illustration shows that if the cars are travelling at the same speed the blue one is slightly ahead on the road and therefore commited to the maneuver. As someone else stated, if the blue car had to stop, that could cause a car following the blue car to be stopped across the traffic light junction.

But the blue car has only moved because he's seen the red car indicating.

It's blue, for no other reason than this:

The red car and the blue car had a race

All that red could do was stuff his face

He eats everything he sees

From trucks to prickly trees

But smart old blue, he took the Milky Way

He's looking for a chocolate treat

Fluffy and light

Cos he knows it won't spoil his app-e-tite

mm mm MMMM!

Oh no! the bridge has gone, poor old red just can't carry on

But smart old blue, he took the Milky Way

The car following the blue car is completely irrelevant, and it shouldn't be performing a manouvre such as crossing oncoming traffic before it has seen that it has somewhere to go.

For the blue car to perform it's own manouvre of turning right, it must have already seen the red car indicating and then turning left (otherwise it would have assumed that the red car was travelling up Prospect Hill), and therefore knew that it would meet it on Athol Street. It should therefore have given way and stayed on Prospect Hill.

when I was there this morning I saw the first red car indicate which gave me a chance to cross over to athol street, timing it just right so that that car would be infront of me. I hadn't seen the second car also indicating to turn on to athol street until I had already gone, hence my question who should have given way.

Archived