Who Will Be The Next Tourism And Leisure Minister

lard

David Cretney MHK hasn't done too bad a job over the past ten years but there will more than likely be a change come the new Government.

One candidate who will certainly be in the frame for this Ministerial position if successful is Chris Robertshaw, former top man at the Sefton Hotel.

IoM Today Article from 2004 - Calls to scrap TT . . .

I'm not sure if the TT would have much of a future though?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
David Cretney MHK hasn't done too bad a job over the past ten years but there will more than likely be a change come the new Government.

One candidate who will certainly be in the frame for this Ministerial position if successful is Chris Robertshaw, former top man at the Sefton Hotel.

I'm not sure if the TT would have much of a future though?

I'm not sure the IoM would have much of a future if he even managed to get himself elected.

I'm not sure the IoM would have much of a future if he even managed to get himself elected.

PAG are there to bolster Mr Robertshaw.

David Cretney MHK hasn't done too bad a job over the past ten years
Not wishing to sound like I am knocking his record, but how are you gauging his successes and shortcomings?

Leisure facilities have been closing, tourism has been in decline for decades and yet the department's budget continues to grow.

Yeah, true enough, but I was really meaning the TT but of course our tourist industry is more than that isn't it?

Maybe that is the point that Mr Robertshaw was supporting in the press article?

There is not much of a tourism industry outside of the TT and other motorport events, let's try and admit it to ourselves for once.

If we don't do something pretty quickly there won't even be those events to promote the Island to a wider audience.

It needs someone with a less perocial outlook, willing to push for bigger things....perhaps a race circuit capable of holding worldclass events which would put the Island in almost every front room in every house in the world!

The thing would have a momentum of it's own, increasing all year round coverage and improving tourism facilities across the board!

I agree that the TT and MGP bring in the numbers - however I doubt if the TT actually is cost effective given the additional costs of policing, road maintenance etc - the other motor sports for petrolheads (eg this weekends rally) seem to atrract few spectators (and even have difficulty attracting enough people to marshall) - the cost to the rest of the Island in terms of road closures is probably higher than the little revenue they bring in.

The quieter attractions (eg walking) were found during the Foot & Mouth period to be significantly greater attractions than previously recognised - the walking week last year excceeded all expectations - these people stay for a week or longer, buy restaurant meals etc over a season of maybe 20 weeks or more

David Cretney MHK hasn't done too bad a job over the past ten years

Anyone care to clarify positive points here? Lets not forget that his job did not centre entirely around the TT and being minister of fun. The TT was only one part of the tourist industry which has dwindled consistently for 10 years.

Nobody has seen revenue figures for any tourist event, feature, festival etc, and the TT has thrived via homestay as it is chrystal clear that we have lost thousands and thousands of hotel beds in the last ten years. How can the industry be getting better and bringing in more people and revenue when there are less official places to stay and spend money in?

Re. booking a holiday on the Isle of Man (or not as the case may be)...

The walking section of Gov.im/Tourism has a (broken) link to IOM Travel.com.

Despite the URL being on a Govt. Disclaimer page (not maintained or endorsed by IOM Govt.) the link is not one of a choice of Travel agents, it is a solitary link on the page which implies that the Dept of Touriam must be happy to endorse them.

Once on the travel website you can view 'Douglas and East' accomodation which acts as a warning to other Manx companies not to pay Jersey Web designers to build their website:

post-102-1154720902_thumb.jpg

Lesson #1 when using a template to fleece clients: Delete/amend the html on the new site

<html>

<head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">

<title>Jersey holidays, hotels, flights, sea travel, car hire & insurance with the experts at Channel Islands Travel</title>

<meta http-equiv="pragma" content="no-cache">

<META name="keywords" content="isle of man,manx, hotels, guest houses, accommodation, tourism, holidays, channel islands, break, island">

<META name="DESCRIPTION" content="Inclusive holidays in the Isle of Man">

After double checking the 'about us' page which quite clearly states they are based in Village Walk, Onchan I wondered why their Contact Us page is full of Jersey telephone numbers.

There is a Jersey Travel.com website, here is their 'Contact Us' page.

So, either the Jersey Web Designer Clearsite isn't very good at linking pages and rewriting html or IOM Tourism are happy to tell it's site visitors to book their holidays (and pay commision?) through a Channel Island company.

I agree that the TT and MGP bring in the numbers - however I doubt if the TT actually is cost effective given the additional costs of policing, road maintenance etc - the other motor sports for petrolheads (eg this weekends rally) seem to atrract few spectators (and even have difficulty attracting enough people to marshall) - the cost to the rest of the Island in terms of road closures is probably higher than the little revenue they bring in.

The quieter attractions (eg walking) were found during the Foot & Mouth period to be significantly greater attractions than previously recognised - the walking week last year excceeded all expectations - these people stay for a week or longer, buy restaurant meals etc over a season of maybe 20 weeks or more

The TT is cost effective and makes money. I can't tell you how I know, so don't ask. :)

It would appear that Isleofmantravel.com (as opposed to IOM travel.com which is owned by Duke Marketing) is a part of Channel Island Travel Service based at Jersey Airport, which would confirm that IOM Tourism are endorsing a competing juristriction to take bookings for IOM tourists.

post-102-1154724571_thumb.jpg

The TT is cost effective and makes money. I can't tell you how I know, so don't ask. :)

I'm sorry but that appears to be the cross the board response in most areas - its a secret, we don't tell anyone, we don't publish figures or anything but trust me, it makes money.

Not being critical of you as you probably can't without breaking cover, but the best way to stop idle speculation is to publish the figures particularly if they are good and particularly if people would be surprised. Its the absence of anything tangible that leads to such speculation.

Archived