Laxey Wheel Not Turning Not Turning

manxchatterbox

went up the Wheel yesterday with some friends who'd come back home from abroad for a holiday with their young kids...big disappointment was the the Lady Isabella was strapped up and not turning....why not?? The man there said thay Health & Saftey had couple of weeks ago done an inspection....and found a small crack in the first piece of the wooden beam of the rocker arm...so MNH have to get a new piece of timber...but not any piece of timber it has to be a piece of some soret of hardwood and its not easy to come by and its going to take weeks to get then it'll be more weeks whilst the rocker arm is dismantlled re-assembled and then inspected again by Health & Saftey.....

all this in the busiest part of the season....

..is the timber being sourced out in a rain forest and needs aspecial sites import licence??

..suppose we were back in the 1800's and the mine was still working and the beam cracked...without the wheel's pump the mine would flood etc and livelihoods and profit would be lost so how quickly do you think it would have been mended in the late 1800's??? two weeks ? three weeks a month or two?? or hours or a day or two or so???

My goodness. You mean to say that a routine safety inspection discovered something that needed fixing so it was taken out of service while they sourced the correct materials instead of just bodging it and either damaging the wheel or causing an accident?

Scandalous I tell you.

Damn that selfish piece of timber. Breaking in the middle of the summer, does it have no consideration for the needs of tourists?

And what of the water wheel manufacturers. Can this thriving industry not spare any of it's time to repair such a valuable asset immediately? It's all money money money for these fat cats :angry:

Get real MCB. It's tough enough getting a decent carburettor for a 20 year old mini. How difficult must it be to get a part made foir a very old waterwheel?

can't they just disconnect the arm, its not like its pumping water the wheel could still go round then. If there going to replace it they could put a chain saw through the cracked bit for now.

big disappointment was the the Lady Isabella was strapped up and not turning....why not?? The man there said thay Health & Saftey had couple of weeks ago done an inspection....and found a small crack in the first piece of the wooden beam of the rocker arm...so MNH have to get a new piece of timber...but not any piece of timber it has to be a piece of some soret of hardwood and its not easy to come by and its going to take weeks to get then it'll be more weeks whilst the rocker arm is dismantlled re-assembled and then inspected again by Health & Saftey.....

all this in the busiest part of the season....

Much better to have kept it running and risk personal injury to everyone visiting the site, than disappoint you and your friends kids?? Those loony health and safety people ruining it again.

we did go to see the other wheel that's in the washing floor area behind the Mines...but its not yet fully connected up to a water supply and the 'grand opening' isn't for a short time yet...but it looks as though it'll be a good addition to the Laxey Heritage ..even though its a wheel out of place from where it originaly was..lets hope Health and Safety don't say it can't turn without an attendent being present???

..suppose we were back in the 1800's and the mine was still working and the beam cracked...without the wheel's pump the mine would flood etc and livelihoods and profit would be lost so how quickly do you think it would have been mended in the late 1800's??? two weeks ? three weeks a month or two?? or hours or a day or two or so???

They'd have just got an orphan to hold it in place. Make a nice summer job for some kid, bit like being paid to ride a log flume. But in these lily-livered, PC, Health and Safety days this sort of thing doesn't happen. And are we the richer for it?

MCB, do you do your own job as well as you think you can do everybody else's?

Surely it won't be just any piece of wood? It will probably have to be sourced and then treated in some way so that it is up to the job. All of which will take time.

What would they have done in the 1800s? Probably patched it up so that it still worked while waiting for a new piece, meanwhile possibly endangering the lives of those working with it. That's what they would have done!

Imagine the joy manxchatterballs would have had if the piece of wood HAD broken. No doubt a knock-on effect of the dogshit warden not doing his job for the corpy properly...

Critics only have any validity with me if they have a proven track record of doing something they criticise superbly themselves. Otherwise they're just an annoyance.

Bit of a circular argument that Grum (if you would pardon the pun on this thread). The one thing MCB does superbly is irrationally criticise just about everything; so should the merely rational posters have the front to criticise a black belt in bollocks?

Oh, I think so!!!

Archived