Temporary Ice Rink For Douglas

Ripsaw

It can't cost that much for some sheets of acrylic, some plywood and some ice skating boots.

price it up, I don't know what it costs, put i'm sure there is the 100 pairs skating boots (i know that cos i asked when i booked), the rink, huts, tent, lights, staff, ground costs, carriage, electricity, the fencing, I would guess around £40,000.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the matter with you people, this event is being financed locally out of someones back pocket (a manx person) , don't see any of your taking a risk with your own money.

So stop your bitching and go back to moaning about wheelie bins and dog shit.

I wasn't going to comment but this is a bit of a "Gerald Ratner" moment .... someone telling people who have given them good money to use the rink to piss off and stop criticising.

go back to moaning about wheelie bins and dog shit (by the way thanks for all the fivers you and your kids paid to skate!)

Pure class.

What is the matter with you people, this event is being financed locally out of someones back pocket (a manx person) , don't see any of your taking a risk with your own money.

So stop your bitching and go back to moaning about wheelie bins and dog shit.

I wasn't going to comment but this is a bit of a "Gerald Ratner" moment .... someone telling people who have given them good money to use the rink to piss off and stop criticising.

go back to moaning about wheelie bins and dog shit (by the way thanks for all the fivers you and your kids paid to skate!)

Pure class.

Lets see how far we can bump this off ..........

Maybe I'll re-post.

Lets see how far we can bump this off ..........

Maybe I'll re-post.

How many people on this forum have actually used the rink. My kids love it, they have never had the opportunity to use a real one. See some are taken their kids to Hampton Park Rink, sadly not every one can afford that, I hope this is a great success and we have the opportunity to have a bigger rink next year . Lets all get together and get on the governments back to provide something for our kids, We are a nation of moaners here in the Island, I can't wait for tt when I know its gonna cost me a £5/£6 a head for a two minute ride at the fair.

Lets all get together and get on the governments back to provide something for our kids, We are a nation of moaners here in the Island, I can't wait for tt when I know its gonna cost me a £5/£6 a head for a two minute ride at the fair.

What have the government got to do with this? Its a private enterprise as far as I understand it and from previous posts it looks like the government were asked to subsidise and didn't.

Not only are we a nation of moaners, but also a nation of people who want government assistance for any sort of venture.

Edited - Many of us on here are Manx too its a Manx forum.

i think the criticism is levied at the cost and the fact it was hyped up to be something huge.

the prices varying from one group to another is no doubt annoying and the fact its billed as an 'ice' rink and there is no ice is also taking creativity to the limits.

Why not call it a skating rink? maybe because you know it would not have the same appeal. I really applaud anyone who starts a venture. But if the venture is to be taken seriously, you have to be honest.

you could not advertise a 'pork pie' if there was no pork in it. etc.

if the kids enjoy it, then great. but i do question the commercial viabilty if the figures someone on here was quoting on here are correct. That then makes me wonder about the reasons.

Lets all get together and get on the governments back to provide something for our kids, We are a nation of moaners here in the Island, I can't wait for tt when I know its gonna cost me a £5/£6 a head for a two minute ride at the fair.

What have the government got to do with this? Its a private enterprise as far as I understand it and from previous posts it looks like the government were asked to subsidise and didn't.

Not only are we a nation of moaners, but also a nation of people who want government assistance for any sort of venture.

Edited - Many of us on here are Manx too its a Manx forum.

here here

This must be a major publicity disaster for 3FM who are sponsoring the project. They seem to have dropped any mention of the project.

What looked liked good publicity on paper has caused most of the Manx forum community to give the whole project the thumbs down

This must be a major publicity disaster for 3FM who are sponsoring the project. They seem to have dropped any mention of the project.

What looked liked good publicity on paper has caused most of the Manx forum community to give the whole project the thumbs down

well in fairness to 3fm, i dont think 3fm actually own it, they just seem to be hanging their name on it and trying to cash in on someone elses work, bad move.

i called 3fm last week to find out more and they didnt know their arse from their elbow. ie they couldnt even tell me when it was open.

but ive given it a miss, we are off to the big city for some real ice!

Archived