Temporary Ice Rink For Douglas

Ripsaw

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

In case you haven't been to Villier's Square recently - here it is, all ready and set up for the time of commercial terror usually referred to as "Christmas Period":

post-1086-1164389068_thumb.jpgpost-1086-1164389080_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1164389091_thumb.jpg

Looks like it's gonna be some sort of mini christmas market, which could be nice. Not sure about that synthetic stuff, as I've never skated on any (I used to fall on my arse elegantly glide across the ice in this place), but it sure looks like fun...

I nipped over today to have a look, it's tiny.. i have a bigger puddle out the back of my house!

I had promised my nephews real ice. Hope it still skates the same, they probably wouldn't notice (or care).

Is it true there's no age limit? I hope so, a few places in england won't let under 9's for insurance purposes but this is great if that's not the case.

I nipped over today to have a look, it's tiny.. i have a bigger puddle out the back of my house!

Hey!! this is the 'Isle of Man' you know , if a jobs worth doing ,it's worth fouling it up...... its good to see 3Fm sticking to form

they had a bigger rink on the gaiety theatre stage a year or so ago, i was going to go down and have a look at this one but you can see from the picture with the bodies in its not worth going to, just think they could have had a proper BIG frozen water rink at/on the ol' summerland site with the same rides and a few little stalls selling xmas tat and luke warm drinks <_<

I'm not really so much into ice skating... BUT I am very much disappointed with the TINY imitation that this one has turned out to be. You get more than 10 ppl into that thing and it will be full! The whole idea about ice skating is the skating! ie. you skate around. ie. you need to move! ie. you need a bigger rink!

If this one succeeds.... it will only be out of pure desperation of the Manx folk who just want to get onto ice no matter what! ...or how small.

The IOM getting it spectacularly wrong again.

When I first heard about this, I thought cool idea, having seen various open air rinks around the world. Nice christmas feel, few chesnut sellers around, maybe some carols being sung. It's a nice big location, should be great! Family attraction, get Douglas town band playing etc.

How wrong I was when I dropped by today.

Mickey Mouse effort in Toy Town again.

2257731.jpg

somerset_rink_430x320.jpg

well like everything it is easy to criticise, and thats why we get what we deserve. Why can people not understand that we are a tiny place with a low population?

A large rink would be a huge financial gamble for the people involved, maybe it will lead to a larger one once demand has been tested.

Nice pictures of those rinks in huge cities with millions of potential customers though!

I tend to agree with Max here - yes, the thing isn't the biggest, and yes, it's synthetic 'ice', but well done to the people taking a gamble and offering something new! Maybe demand will show that there is a market, and maybe next year we'll get one of them huge thingies, which are actually extremely expensive to run (take it from someone who who grew up in a town dominated by winter sports).

My suggestion is: Give it a go! It doesn't matter if you fall on your arse in a 25x25 or 250x250 meter rink - your mates will still laugh, and you will still feel like a twat on ice, and that's what it's all about... :)

well like everything it is easy to criticise, and thats why we get what we deserve. Why can people not understand that we are a tiny place with a low population?

So, a population of 80,000 deserves.... THAT? you gotta' be kidding me. I know a number of people who were interested, but now, based on the size of it have said they won't bother. If that's a gamble they weren't prepared to make... why bother at all in the first place?? Obviously they were just trying to cash in on 'public interest' for an ice rink.

Have you seen the small 'leaflets' they are sending out to advertise it? Utter rubbish. Spending the Christmas-nights under a star lit sky blah! blah! this ice rink has a roof!

A large rink would be a huge financial gamble for the people involved, maybe it will lead to a larger one once demand has been tested.

Nice pictures of those rinks in huge cities with millions of potential customers though!

Yes but I won't go on this one. But I would have if there was a bit more room. I think a lot of people will be put off with the size - therefore you can't judge how popular it might have been.

They'll just say "nah wasn't popular" and we won't see another one again. Hey-ho.

what an absolute disgrace.

They are calling it an ice rink and it is not ice! False advertising, why bullshit people?

Apparently its three fm. I phoned Manx radio to ask when its open and they told me to ring Energy FM who told me to ring three fm. I didn’t get an answer. When I eventually got through (the next day!) I was told that there is nobody at three fm in the evening!. and after a half witted conversation with some idiot, they didn’t even know the prices!

Now I’ve seen how tiny it is, I wont waste my ££££

Full marks for taking the initiative, but really this is pathetic. I have 3 days in London booked for the family before Christmas so will take my offspring to a real one!

Apparently its three fm. I phoned Manx radio to ask when its open and they told me to ring Energy FM who told me to ring three fm. I didn’t get an answer. When I eventually got through (the next day!) I was told that there is nobody at three fm in the evening!. and after a half witted conversation with some idiot, they didn’t even know the prices!

I know you're only desperately trying to live up to your username, but the information you were looking for was already in this very thread - posted in september - just look a bit further up. An F for effort here...

Archived