Temporary Ice Rink For Douglas

Ripsaw

what an absolute disgrace.

They are calling it an ice rink and it is not ice! False advertising, why bullshit people? Now I’ve seen how tiny it is, I wont waste my ££££

Full marks for taking the initiative, but really this is pathetic. I have 3 days in London booked for the family before Christmas so will take my offspring to a real one!

You'll be at the front of the queue to voice their wishes to see a proper rink built here then?

I'm there next week with forty 6 to 10 year olds and parents. I've been concerned about the small size since it was confirmed, but I'd rather give the little ones a chance to try something new and push for better than see it fail and give ammunition to the under investing DTi and DoT&L.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm there next week with forty 6 to 10 year olds and parents. I've been concerned about the small size since it was confirmed, but I'd rather give the little ones a chance to try something new and push for better than see it fail and give ammunition to the under investing DTi and DoT&L.

Well I wish you luck at £7 for half an hours skating. Times that by forty and you'd better take out a second mortgage before you go.

How much should it be then? £1 maybe?

FFS - people moan there's nothing to do and then when something different does come along they moan again!

Is it a national sport over here?

I'm sorry but I took two kids down to piss around on a non-ice ice rink (in non-ice plastic shoes) for half an hour and that was the cost each. Its a statement of fact that if you took a load of kids down 1) It will be bloody expensive and 2) After the half an hour is up you'll have to pay more money to take then somewhere else as they will be pissed off and want to do something else.

Compared to other things you could be doing it is expensive.

Although I understand why they limit it to half an hour, because the rink is that small you can't get that many people on it.

There are often calls for forum meet ups. Skating followed by a KFC and a couple of beers.

Mission, did you get the email from the Why Guernsey forum?

Why Guernsey is one today!

So...... Thank you to all the members who have contributed to the success of the site over the last year, the moderators who volunteer their time to help run and maintain order on the board and BBC Guernsey and Island FM who kindly mention us from time to time. As to the Guernsey Press, well we are pleased to be the source for the majority of their stories, enabling their journalists extra time under their rocks!

With traffic regularly exceeding 70,000 pages read a day, the site has become one of the main media sources and most popular online community in Guernsey. The gallery is a particular success and thank you to Cable and Wireless who sponsor this section and our resident photographer, SJ, who has been accused on several occasions of being a pervert yet still ventures out to take your photos. Surprisingly he hasn’t been thumped yet… but there’s still time.

My Guernsey is becoming popular in its on right now with many islanders regularly ‘blogging’. Readers have become addicted to Muttleys Starblog amongst others. Visit http://www.my-guernsey.com and set up an account - its free, gets you a blog, your own webspace, then link to friends, add videos, photos, music and much more…

Many local companies are successfully offering various discounts for members ranging from free eye examinations to 10% off at the islands favourite restaurants. We also offer an autoresponder which allows anyone to email an email address and receive an automated response with companys details. To see how this works email baanthai@whyguernsey.com with any message you like and you will receive their menu by return. No need anymore for a website to direct people to… just give them the email address. (If you would like any further information on this service please contact bb@whyguernsey.com)

We look forward to another eventful year - I’m sure there will be more bed hopping politicians, out of the closet restaurateurs and eloping divers to discuss, some things never change - and the continued success of the site through the members contributions.

Many thanks to everyone.

In my experience, forum meet up's lead to very low numbers - which is a great shame.

The skating is something that I would probably be up for but I doubt they offer size 15 skates somehow!

And yes Rip, I did indeed - food for thought that - maybe some of the members on here that own businesses could look at doing a deal on discounts for the MF members (I know it's something I'll be considering for web orders).

:)

£2.50 for me ;)

Edit: Sorry, I meant £2.50 each person

Edit 2: I am informed that the cost to the group was also subsidised from group funds, so while discounts are available for group bookings, I reported an incorrect figure.

My apologies for the misleading cost.

Archived