Temporary Ice Rink For Douglas

Ripsaw

ok

So we are on the Island and we are used to having nothing to do with the kids in the winter and we should be grateful for what we get etc.... BUT £7 odd for an adult for that joke? I used to be a figure skater and got my lesson and session...3 hrs for that!..on a real full size rink may I add!

Our kids actually laughed at it! So I guess we will have to wait and see if David Cretney will give us a real one or not? As Minister of Fun surely its about time he actually did something for the kids for rainy winter days! He himself usually takes his girls accross on such days, not all of us can afford to to that!!

Still...the guys on the burger stands might make some money!!!!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry but discounts of this nature should be advertised. Who knows whose group is bigger. Girl89 should get on the blower and ask. People are paying quite a lot of money (or not much money at all) to use this facility and the pricing should be upfront and unambiguous.

I assume Girl89 received a discount from the adult price, my group have a discount based on monopolising the rink for a full session with all paying an equal contribution towrds the rink hire, as opposed to an individual's charge. It will also be based on the majority of the users being priced on the children's rate. I said it was for a group of 40.

I didn't phone for the quote (and it was booked in the groups name before the election, so quit whining).

Juan, if you are not prepared to consider the possiblitity of discounts (especially when they are advertised as available) and actively seek them out then you will pay more for the services that you receive. Why do you think I suggested a forum night other than to encourage members to seek and gain a discount!

From Minxie's post dated 26 September:

For further information on group bookings, individual bookings, corporate events, school visits and parties please call Ice Rink Events on telephone 07624 309922 or Email: icerink@manx.net - A Group is a party over 20 or more people.

Slight point of order. It's NOT 3FM who are behind it.

Not that that is *really* relevant to the situation. I popped in to have a look the other night and I almost pissed myself at the size of the rink.

Economies of scale suggest to me that it could have easily been twice the size without doubling costs.

Still...what do I know ?...

...GOMH*...

Us students have less money as it is! Kids can just sponge off their parents :P

Don't you still live at home with your parents? :P

Yes I do, but I have to earn my own money and it's very rare that my parents just give me money.

I'm sorry but discounts of this nature should be advertised. Who knows whose group is bigger. Girl89 should get on the blower and ask. People are paying quite a lot of money (or not much money at all) to use this facility and the pricing should be upfront and unambiguous.

I assume Girl89 received a discount from the adult price, my group have a discount based on monopolising the rink for a full session with all paying an equal contribution towrds the rink hire, as opposed to an individual's charge. It will also be based on the majority of the users being priced on the children's rate. I said it was for a group of 40.

Ah yeah, children are cheaper aren't they. Our group is pretty big though, there's between 40 and 60 going. Maybe it was split over two sessions or something.

That thing looks bloody dangerous, those ice skates are sharp and with it being soo small i think we are going to see bloody spilling.

Good luck to who ever wishes to be in plaster over the christmas period. :D

Ice-Rink-large.jpg

This picture was taken inside the Douglas ice rink, its been supplied by "Dr Who Ice Rinks INC" :o

Fucking manx crab syndrome.

You obviously don't have kids. I have and I'm pissed off of trying to entertain them when there is f all to do, and paying £7 each for 12 - 14 years olds to have a half hour go on someting like that ain't cheap - and half an hour is just enough time to get the boots on and off.

After all the hype it ain't that good. If that labels me a Manx Crab so be it. I'd rather me a Manx Crab than a complete muppet that wants to talk something up because its the only glimmer on the entertainment horizon in Douglas.

Fair play to them it is was a very, very good idea in concept and I hope they make a mint

got to admit, i drove past there today and seen it for the first time and couldn't belive the size of it

not what i expected at all, i was looking forward to giving ice skating a go but i'm not going to bother on that so called ice rink :unsure:

Our kids actually laughed at it! So I guess we will have to wait and see if David Cretney will give us a real one or not? As Minister of Fun surely its about time he actually did something for the kids for rainy winter days! He himself usually takes his girls accross on such days, not all of us can afford to to that!!

As he's already declared that he does not intend to continue in the post of Minister for Tourism & Leisure in the new Tynwald - I think it makes that part of your post somewhat redundant.

What is the matter with you people, this event is being financed locally out of someones back pocket (a manx person) , don't see any of your taking a risk with your own money. People just can't do right for doing wrong here on this Island. It was never advertised as a real ice rink, syntheric ice was the term used.

You want a real one, get the forum members to club together, £200k is around the price for six weeks hire, you will need around 28,000 people going through at £7.00 per head just to break even.

So stop your bitching and go back to moaning about wheelie bins and dog shit.

Archived