The Isle Of Man Is Not The Name Of A Country!

gd0nfn

Microsoft MSN has just upgraded its software and called it "Windows live Messenger"; it has linked up with a US company called Verizon to provide VOIP phone call facilities.

I have been trying this out as an alternative to Skype and found some technical problems. I contacted Verizon customer services and completed their support questionnaire.

They came back with "Thank you for contacting Verizon Web Calling Customer Service.

We thank you for the information that you have provided, but we still require some more information. Any assistance that you could provide us would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at Isle of Man, and found that it is not the name of a country . Could you please provide us with the following information:

- Country you are calling from

- City and country for subscription

- Connection type (cable/dsl/dail-up)

Verizon Web Calling is committed to ensuring you make the most of your service. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please log into Online Account Manager and contact us by e-mail or chat.

Sincerely,

Binder

Verizon Web Calling Customer Service"

So there we are its official the Isle of Man is not a country!

I have sent them some useful educational web pages.

John

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this page might be helpful! United Kingdom Department for Constitutional Affairs

To have an official United Kingdom government website categorically saying:

Departments and agencies are asked not to state or imply that the Islands are part of the United Kingdom (or of Great Britain or of England) or act on that assumption;

They are internally self-governing "Dependencies" of the Crown included in the term "British Islands".

The Islands are not part of the United Kingdom and have no representation in Parliament at Westminster.

The European Union: The Channel Islands and Isle of Man are not Member States nor are they part of the UK Member State.

The Islands are internally self-supporting and neither receive subsidies from, nor pay contributions to, the United Kingdom. The Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey make annual contributions towards the cost of common services such as defence and overseas representation.

• 2 weeks later...
British Isles is a geographic term and should include the CI and Ireland (N&S) so the graphic is wrong.

I've seen sources that say that the CI aren't part of the British Isles and I'd tend to agree with them

Assuming the defenition is "an archipelago off the northwest coast of continental Europe which is most commonly known as the British Isles" then I would argue that the CI don't form part of that archipelago as they are islands off the coast of France

Edit to add - I'd agree with Mr Bastard, he beat me to it

Further edit - Wiki says

The following islands are sometimes also included, though officially are not geographically part of the archipelago:

* Channel Islands[2]

* Faroe Islands

* Rockall[3]

I'd still say that the CI shouldn't be included in the British Isles

Don't believe everything you read on Wiki.

I don't, but it's often a good start

Although not always included under British Isles the CI often are and I consider them to be, unless proven otherwise.

Physically they are just off the French coast. If there weren't any colours or countries marked on a map there's no way you'd group them with the UK and Ireland

Archived