The Island's Lifeline Or A Tightening Noose?

Max Power

I have just spent the whole day with several groups of friends who have been competing in the Rally Isle of Man, all trying to get back home and struggling with the Steam Packet and apparent breakdowns.

This seems to be a story that has no end. Every time the TT comes around, they have ferry problems and delays causing disruption to passengers who have busy schedules to keep to.

One group from Ireland have been competing for the past three years and have vowed never to return, as although the rally itself is the best in the British Isles, they cannot live with the delays, costs and difficulties in travelling to the Island. It is cheaper to compete on the continent and delays are minimal.

The same goes for the TT this year, the cost of travel on certain crossings at night had risen frm £198.00 for a car and 2 people to £400.00!

I could relate many stories of people who are becoming dissatisfied with the travel arrangements and treatment that they get from the Steam Packet, many of them TT and MGP competitors and their supporters. Several no longer bother to come, there are other events where travel is easier for them!

I realise that the Steam Packet has to operate profitably in order to survive, but is it not time that our government took a financial interest to ensure that we give our CUSTOMERS what they need?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

personally I'd be very happy if Rally IoM did cease - it closes too many roads and causes significant disruption to the rest of us for the little money it brings to the Island (as opposed to the Australian finance house that is now seeking to recoup its £200M investment in nothing more than the lease of the linkspan before its only 'all year' boat fails)

now seeking to recoup its £200M investment in nothing more than the lease of the linkspan before its only 'all year' boat fails

Usually have great respect for your posts Frances, but I don't understand your point here. Are you saying that Macquarry are only interested in the linkspan or that it is the only real asset of IOMSPCo?

Same here, I have to say that I've always viewed you as a reasonable and level headed guy.

We're all different, we all have different tastes. The rally brings a lot of pleasure to the fans of the sport and it gives a lot of local crews the opportunity to race the same stages as those that compete at higher echelons of the sport.

As a historian yourself, surely you can see the merits of keeping the islands rich motorsport heritage alive and kicking, even if it is at the (minor) inconvenience of some for a small percentage of the year?

Example,

Day trip to Liverpool in August last year booking one month in advance £26. This year £47 one month in advance. People may say supply and demand but I have spoken to loads of people planning day trips to Liverpool who have decided not to bother because they will not pay that sought of money for a day trip.

Usually have great respect for your posts Frances, but I don't understand your point here. Are you saying that Macquarry are only interested in the linkspan or that it is the only real asset of IOMSPCo?

basically the lease of the linkspan is their major asset - they have disposed of any land assets both in Liverpool and more recently in Douglas - the Ben is the only boat they own (the Seacat, not known for its reliability in winter, is leased) - the exclusive right to the linkspan ensures no competition can enter the market. I remember that the SPCo a couple of years ago claimed to be 'scouring the world' for a replacement for the Ben . If any problem to the Ben arises in winter it will certainly make travel to/from Island interesting.

Re rally - the inconvenience depends on where you live - the Peel/Kk Micheal road was closed on two days with disruption to buses etc, once so they could play dodgems around devils elbow and the second because they want a few hundred yards to connect two minor roads, on Saturday the MER was significantly disprupted (presumneably because some minor roads were closed), I heard similar comments that public transport in Ramsey was also disrupted. Unlike the TT, MGP etc where a well known road is closed with well known alternatives available the Rally closed many roads at the same time, if you attempted to travel off any main road (and even several A roads were closed) you continually came up against road closed notices requiring significant detours - just look at the one page advert in the Examiner and then work out the implication for any routes that crossed these closures.

The investing company has a large stake of their cash fixed as an asset in the fact that they have a monopoly over the links. Someone in government with balls should play their strings a bit and realise if they don't stick to the chartered agreement realistically (instead of in theory) then they could lose a lot of money.

Why the hell are we being dragged by the balls when they have so much money tied up in something our government has power over?

Sorry, I still don't understand. Are you saying that they are seeking to capitalise on the monopoly situation by charging extortionate fares? In which case, it is a matter for IOM Gov to make sure that they impose conditions on the lease to replicate a competitive market in a monopoly situation, just like MT and all the other commercial monopolies that operate here under some kind of licensing.

If the sea service to the Island does not deliver, then we only have our elected representatives to blame for not putting those simple protections in place.

OFT do surveys on fuel prices etc. so do they investigate transport costs too ?

The weird thing with their prices is that from a 5-day deal, adding just one extra day just about doubles the cost :(

maybe when the user agreement was drawn up they knew the owners, but did they alow for a take-over and different operating priorities ?

At least the rally only lasts a few days rather than the combined 4 weeks of the TT/MGP and doesn't seem to result in the loss of life one normally associates with the latter. It's also a part of a British championship and deserves some recognition for that also.

On the inconvenience caused by the rally road closures, I wouldn't like to live in Kirk Michael...

The IOM Government had the opportunity to acquire the Steam Racket, just like anyone else did, but they passed it up. When the business is in the hands of someone who has no real interest in the IOM, it's always going to be a case of maximising the return on investment.

If you don't like it, there's a boat in the morning. All right, maybe not tomorrow morning.

Whatever happens to the Steam Packet, as the Company's spokesman Geoff Corkish is always there to gloss all the matters over. He is standing for Douglas West in the general election - maybe his silver tongue will work for all the problems our government might have.

Could be the man for the next Chief Minister!

:unsure:

There are obviously a few problems at the Steam Packet at the moment, mainly with the reliability of the fast craft. Of course, we forget that the vast majority of travellers want faster crossing times, which mean the use of craft, which do not fare particularly well sailing continuously in the Irish Sea.

The user agreement does impose certain fare increase restrictions, but if you are clever enough with the way you structure special offers etc, you can raise costs without increasing fares, so to speak.

Let's have a think what it would be like without a user agreement.... Very few, if any, sailings to Ireland. They are a complete loss leader, and are only operated at such frequency to satisfy the conditions of the agreement. Less frequency to Liverpool, keep the full sailings, ditch one or two of the midweek slots that aren't full. This would probably mean more demand for spaces, less special offers and a percieved increase in costs.

Tempus Fugit - THe 'Short Break' was something devised in conjunction with the DTL, who after a probably very expensive consultative survey, decided that the best way to market the Island was as a short break destination. Henceforth, there was the introduction of a reduced rate tariff for these trips.

And prices fluctuate with all travel operators, depending on advanced booking, anticipated demand, school holidays etc. So why should it be any different over here?

And as for the origonal poster - I thin you will find that this TT, and the majority of recent years, have gone very well in terms of reliability and maintaining a schedule.

Archived