The Island's Lifeline Or A Tightening Noose?

Max Power

I can take on board the economics of the situation, but when you find that your friends are suffering great inconvenience and distress when visiting for what should be an enjoyable break, you have to ask yourself what is going wrong!

The difficulties in getting here for the TT are well documented, and it wouldn't take much investigation to find people who have given up coming here. But the recent comments by my friends, who are questioning why I bother living here, have made me realise that there is a serious capacity and value for money problem.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Steam Packet might be having problems at the moment and your friends and others might have to pay extortionate fares but Mr Ross and the board can still arrange to hold a lunch this month for the Governor and Mrs Governor and various others of the great and the good with drinks first - all at your expense. Tell that to your friends and the people wanting to go on day trips. Money well spent - I think not, but no surprise. :(

.....The difficulties in getting here for the TT are well documented......

Because it's extremely busy. What do you expect?

I too, have had to make alternative holiday arrangements beacuse my first choice destination was fully booked. I really struggle to see the problem in understanding that. Plus they allow provisional bookings 12 months in advance (24 months in the case of 2007).

So you're friends have experienced some form of delay or cancellation? I fell sorry for them, but I have been delayed many times when travelling abroad, had flights cancelled, re-routed and delayed for over 24 hours in some cases. Shit happens.

But the recent comments by my friends, who are questioning why I bother living here, have made me realise that there is a serious capacity and value for money problem.

Capacity problem? When? for a total of about 12 days a year, during TT, MGP and the International Rally? And I would like to know how you are assessing the 'value for money' element. What comparisons are you using?

So what realistically is the alternative...Government subsidies, competition...neither I think would make any political or economic sense.

As for the disruption caused by the Rally I can sympathise with anyone who was incovenienced. The organiser do their best to give everyone as much advance notice as possible. All houses on the route are leafleted (english??) and the usual road closure notices are posted in the papers and advertised on the radio as much as possible.

Whilst the Rally might not get as many spectators as the TT there is certainly a high level of coverage within the sport of the Island and the event (Sky Sports this evening at 6.30pm). Also the thick end of 120 off-Island crews each with vehicles, trailers and service teams that all need transporting and fed/watered. Its all contribution at the end of the day.

The Steam Packet might be having problems at the moment and your friends and others might have to pay extortionate fares but Mr Ross and the board can still arrange to hold a lunch this month for the Governor and Mrs Governor and various others of the great and the good with drinks first - all at your expense. Tell that to your friends and the people wanting to go on day trips. Money well spent - I think not, but no surprise. :(

And my bank manager drives around in a nice new car and lives in an expensive house.

The plumber I used last week and paid several hundred pounds, is going on holiday next week. Bastard, I bet he's using the profit off my job.

etc

etc

What's your point?

And my bank manager drives around in a nice new car and lives in an expensive house.

The plumber I used last week and paid several hundred pounds, is going on holiday next week. Bastard, I bet he's using the profit off my job.

etc

etc

What's your point?

My point is -

Your bank manager in his expensive house is paying for it out of his own money

Your plumber who's going on holiday worked for the money

etc

etc

the lunch party of the Steam Packet offices will be being paid for, not by Mr Ross himself, but from funds that will be going into the Steam Packet from fares and the people going to the lunch aren't people who he's trying to get to invest in the Company, they're just going to have a jolly good lunch and drinks, good luck to them, but when was the last time you or any of the ordinary fare paying public were invited to a lunch at the Steam Packet! It's the irony of it I was pointing out - rather like Nero and fiddling whilst Rome burns. The boats not going, the fares are horrendous, you want to go to Liverpool and you end up in Heysham - what the hell lets throw a lunch!

That's all I'm saying!

By the way, what's the name of your plumber because ours has disappeared ;)

Which he is paid out of money made by the bank. Which makes money from me......

I get your point, as I am sure you get mine.

Businesses exist to make money. Local businesses also schmooze (!) local individuals becasue it suits their cause. It aint just the packet.

We don't get to decide what private companies choose to spend their money on.

As I said previously, I am aware of the economic issues! It is difficult to run any business on the Island at a profit due to the low population levels.

Surely the answer here is, as I mentioned, for the government to invest in the Steam Packet and not to have peaks, but ensure that there are sufficient major events to allow the infrastructure (shipping and hospitality) to grow profitably. This would secure a future for tourism and related industries,

Which he is paid out of money made by the bank. Which makes money from me......

I get your point, as I am sure you get mine.

Businesses exist to make money. Local businesses also schmooze (!) local individuals becasue it suits their cause. It aint just the packet.

We don't get to decide what private companies choose to spend their money on.

I know, I know..................never mind all that, recommendation for a good plumber!!!!!!!!!

.....but ensure that there are sufficient major events to allow the infrastructure (shipping and hospitality) to grow profitably. This would secure a future for tourism and related industries,

Ah but then people would just complain about the increase road closures, disruptions to the MER and the rest of their daily lives etc etc..... Its always going to be a trade off between people trying to put on events and those that complain about them being put on.

Ah but then people would just complain about the increase road closures, disruptions to the MER and the rest of their daily lives etc etc..... Its always going to be a trade off between people trying to put on events and those that complain about them being put on.

those same people dont complain about TT probably becasue they leave the island for the fortnight, or becasue they enjoy the festival.

rally does causes disruption, if they had marked roads closed it would have helped instead of just a rope. but there isnt much festival apart from castletown stages, now if it was a WRC round with a super special spectator stage at mouragh (spell) park then people might not complain.

now we have a motorsport development officer this should be happening in the next few years im sure! :huh:

those same people dont complain about TT probably becasue they leave the island for the fortnight, or becasue they enjoy the festival.

rally does causes disruption, if they had marked roads closed it would have helped instead of just a rope. but there isnt much festival apart from castletown stages, now if it was a WRC round with a super special spectator stage at mouragh (spell) park then people might not complain.

now we have a motorsport development officer this should be happening in the next few years im sure! :huh:

There should have been road closed ahead signs and board at all junctions. If not then I am sorry for the inconvenience. Ireland has just obtained WRC status but the IOM lost its coefficiency for these events a long time ago. There are "spectator" stages in Castletown and Ramsey during the International event and a million and one other vantage points around the Island.

I appreciate that its not everyone's cup of tea and I can imagine it being a ball ache if you are not in to it...however to me its about offering choice to all types of interest groups and given the record entry it appears to be working.

Ireland has just obtained WRC status but the IOM lost its coefficiency for these events a long time ago.

how come?

as far as i heard irish guys invited observers to ireland and they were impressed enough to give them a WRC status event, sounds easy to me. i doubt the events in ireland are better organised than here and isnt the trophy rally one of the best in UK championship?

personally I'd be very happy if Rally IoM did cease - it closes too many roads and causes significant disruption to the rest of us for the little money it brings to the Island (as opposed to the Australian finance house that is now seeking to recoup its £200M investment in nothing more than the lease of the linkspan before its only 'all year' boat fails)

If they got such a shit deal (as you clearly believe they did) 1. Why is that anyones concern, and 2. How does that affect people returning from the Rally expecting half way normal levels of service and not getting it?

Archived