Leonard Singer To Resign From Legislative Council

%age

Leonard Singer is far from shadey and infact a very nice man if you actually knew him.

I wish him all the best for the future in whatever he decides to undertake and sincere condolences for him at the difficult time he is currently facing with the death of his son.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at least he has done the right thing, better late than never.

I bet Mr Singer is a little worried now though. The sitting members Allan Bell (provided no one mentions Mount Murray) and Anne Craine seem to be strong candidates. So of the three Ramsey Tynwald members at least one of them is going to have to go.

Unless . . . . . Allan Bell or Anne Craine is elected into Leonard Singer's place :(

Well at least he has done the right thing, better late than never.

I bet Mr Singer is a little worried now though. The sitting members Allan Bell (provided no one mentions Mount Murray) and Anne Craine seem to be strong candidates. So of the three Ramsey Tynwald members at least one of them is going to have to go.

Unless . . . . . Allan Bell or Anne Craine is elected into Leonard Singer's place :(

Resigned only because he has been pressured into it.....best wishes to the standing members

Well, Well, Well!

How spooky is this thread title?

Indeed, Leonard Singer has resigned from LegCo! See http://www.manxradio.com/readItem.aspx?ID=...mp;cate=General fro details.

Well done him!

Fair play to the man, he's just earned my vote. (And my missus as well I should think.)

Agreed.

Honour is easily lost, not so easily regained. To me, his actions are unworthy of someone seeking public office - he's just another candidate who'd be better off in a pharmacy.

It seems too much of a coinsidence that this "change of heart" comes just as they are starting to campaign. I wonder how many door-in-face events happened before he realised that the general public were not exactly supportive of his original approach to staying in Legco and standing for MHK at the same time.

Leonard Singer is a gentleman. Maybe he should have resigned from Legco first but he has now made the correct decision politically even though I am absolutely sure his motives have been completely honourable throughout.

Leonard Singer is a gentleman. Maybe he should have resigned from Legco first but he has now made the correct decision politically even though I am absolutely sure his motives have been completely honourable throughout.

I have no doubt that he is a gentleman, and his intentions were honourable in his mind. But I think a lot of people, new candidates particularly, are risking quite a lot to stand in terms of selling or giving up control of businesses or giving up work, and you can't have somebody effectively risking nothing taking them on.

I think the man in the street understands that clearly, and I can imagine that has been fed back leading to a change in approach. The right to sit in Legco and seek a public vote should have been withdrawn decades ago its totally inappropriate.

I have no doubt that he is a gentleman, and his intentions were honourable in his mind. But I think a lot of people, new candidates particularly, are risking quite a lot to stand in terms of selling or giving up control of businesses or giving up work, and you can't have somebody effectively risking nothing taking them on.

I think the man in the street understands that clearly, and I can imagine that has been fed back leading to a change in approach. The right to sit in Legco and seek a public vote should have been withdrawn decades ago its totally inappropriate.

agreed.

Chim-Chiminny, chim-chiminny, chim-chim cheree,

Our LegCo's as cushy as cushy can be

Chim-chiminny, chim-chiminny, chim-chim-cheroo,

An MLC's iffy if not picked by you

Elections mean something, one person one voice

So if not elected then you're no-one's choice

Your salary must be a bung that's for sure

And motives are judged to be far short of pure.

Chim-Chiminny, chim-chiminny, chim-chim cheree

Votes should be counted that's how it should be

Chim-chiminny, chim-chiminny, chim-chim-cheroo

Democracy matters to me and to you

Down in the booth the electorate stirs

One vote for the Keys but then LegCo's a blur

How to de-select MLC's coasting free?

There's no way I see

chim-cheroo-chim cheree

Chim-Chiminny, chim-chiminny, chim-chim cheree

A film mogul's more than a sweep would e'er be

Chim-chiminny, chim-chiminny, chim-chim-cheroo

Is much more than LegCo's free loaders are due

Chim-Chiminny, chim-chiminny, chim-chim we're all watching you

Strange how many MHK's have been elected who ran the local post office or pharmacy

Can any one see a link or reason

Its only the oldies who vote, and its only them who use post offices and chemists more than the rest of us.

"Good morning Mrs Bloggs here for your pension money again?"

"Yes Mr Prospective MHK, then after I've bored you senseless with idle chat I need to potter next door for my suppositories, and some cough sweets from the other prospective MHK"

Its like shooting fish in a barrel.

If the people vote in the local chemist or postmaster, it shows how important it is to canvass and see the people face to face. Trust, familiarity, a caring attitude are absolutely necessary when a troubled constituent visits their MHK.

They aren't looking for someone who can give them details of parliaments far and wide. They want someone whom they can entrust and in whom they can confide - a chemist, doctor, nurse would come into this category.

Archived