[BBC News]Apology over ferry service delays

Newsbot

How hard can it be to get a new gearbox fitted?

I guess it's not your average gearbox that you can just pick of the shelf, and conditions can be a bit cramped at times..

post-1086-1154986058_thumb.jpg

SuperSeaCat at Ship-Technology.com

The thing has 4 turbocharged diesel engines - I bet it's kind to the environment as well <_<

The engines were made on Merseyside,but have to be sent to Germany to be repaired!

According to the information provided by the Steam Packet, it is a gearbox that is u/s, that is one of the Renk PLS 50z reduction gearboxes, (web site www.renk.de) which indicates as was always stated that the gearbox had to go to Germany for repair - not much point in sending it to the Scousers!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How hard can it be to get a new gearbox fitted?

I guess it's not your average gearbox that you can just pick of the shelf, and conditions can be a bit cramped at times..

post-1086-1154986058_thumb.jpg

SuperSeaCat at Ship-Technology.com

The thing has 4 turbocharged diesel engines - I bet it's kind to the environment as well <_<

The engines were made on Merseyside,but have to be sent to Germany to be repaired!

According to the information provided by the Steam Packet, it is a gearbox that is u/s, that is one of the Renk PLS 50z reduction gearboxes, (web site www.renk.de) which indicates as was always stated that the gearbox had to go to Germany for repair - not much point in sending it to the Scousers!

So the Scousers made the engine (GEC Alstrom Ruston Diesel) that is still working OK.

Its the crap German engineering that is letting us all down.

So the Scousers made the engine (GEC Alstrom Ruston Diesel) that is still working OK.

...Or it could be the Italian design - Fincantieri.com - designed by Pininfarina and built in Italy - can't be reliable :rolleyes:

...Or it could be that everyone has been revving the hell out of that thing too much in the past, the same way Hoverspeed Great Britain was wrecked all the time.

...Or it could be that the whole thing is simply not suitable for use in the Irish Sea - it's an aluminium can with a turbo, patched up so it floats and goes somewhere (eventually).

Whatever it is, it ain't the German engineering...

...Or it could be the Italian design - Fincantieri.com - designed by Pininfarina and built in Italy - can't be reliable :rolleyes:

...Or it could be that everyone has been revving the hell out of that thing too much in the past, the same way Hoverspeed Great Britain was wrecked all the time.

...Or it could be that the whole thing is simply not suitable for use in the Irish Sea - it's an aluminium can with a turbo, patched up so it floats and goes somewhere (eventually).

Whatever it is, it ain't the German engineering...

Face facts. Like most germans you cant admit when you are wrong. Its the crap GERMAN gearbox that is at fault. The whole craft may be totally unsuitable for the Irish sea but if it had 4 decent gearboxes to go with the rest things it would be working OK (providing the wind does'nt get up!) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

great ! - been out in her in just a force 6 (decling to 5) on a rather bumpy ride - half the passengers in the confined cabin space were sick - needed forced ventilation to make it bearable - wonder what winter sailings will be like, tho on second thoughts I'll probably stick with the Ben

think of how reliant the Island is on the Ben - if it went 'sick' then a week or two of bad weather would cause significant problems - when they work and the sea is reasonably kind the Cats are fine, though I miss the old quiet lounge, but you can't rely on them running in winter - no fun arriving at Liverpool for an evening boat only to find you are diverted to Heysham for an overnight crossing

No fun arriving at Liverpool for an evening boat only to find you are diverted to Heysham for an overnight crossing

Indeed not - and on the couple of occasions it's happened to me, the Ben was about three to four hours late leaving (though it seems to run like clockwork every night I'm not on it).

In fairness to Irish Sea Shipping, they're not always anti-Steam Packet - they quite like the Ben, but definitely have a downer on the SuperSeacat.

Hearing what happened to Frances, I think I was very lucky when I returned to the island last Sunday evening on SSC2 - the sea was flat calm.

I've been living on the Isle of Man for twelve years now

not another one :(

and I remember with fondness the King Orry and the Lady Of Mann, decent sea-faring vessels

not what the crew thought of the King Orry, an almost unsteerable tub if I remember one comment on a film

(and used to take 5 hours to get to Liverpool :( )

I've been living on the Isle of Man for twelve years now

not another one :(

My descendants were the same monkeys that you evolved from, so technically speaking we have the same genealogy, although I seem to get less of a buzz out of petty racism than you do.

You old monkey ! ( "My descendants.." )

not racist at all, nor petty, it's as if the place was an uninhabited rock until it was 'discovered' by colonists,

it just gets b****y monotonous, "when I was......", "I moved over in ......" "been living here for...." et al. :(

I wonder if people in London keep saying ad nauseum "I've been living in London for ......."

I gave up on sailing quite a few years ago thanks to the errant nature of our dear Steam Packet Company and its unruly craft, I just take the hit and pay a bit extra to fly these days, because the boats are a chore at the best of times, and a complete disaster at the worst of times.

I quite enjoy sailing these days, it's air travel that I now find a chore with all the waiting and security checks

Archived