Cheap Phone Calls And No Roaming Charges On Manx Payg Sim?

Busby

I've tried one out. It doesn't work on all phones, but on the ones it does it works well. It basically rejects the attempt to make a call as it doesn't allow direct dial calls, then the software on the SIM sends an SMS to the service to initiate a call to yourself and the other party.

The company behind it all is a local ISP via their VOIP company. The UK companies involved are just resellers and it's all been done with MTs blessing. I'm told though you're not supposed to use them on Island though, just overseas. (Although they are not blocked on Island at present)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it java based software or an operator/SIM feature of the individual phone? I thought that custom software could only be loaded on the phone, not pre-loaded on the actual SIM?

I assume there must be some tie-in with the GSM gateway, so I figured MT must have had some involvement along the line. With access to the gateway or at least the accounting records there are a number of possibilies. The actual callback/interconnect bit is trivial, just the phone fiddling. Which ISP would it be, Domi/BlueWave - I'm a nozy bugger.

I thought it was different to the CallKey SMS type thing.

It is Callkey/Domicilium. If you have a look on the Callkey website it's there under "Future Products" as Callkey SIM.

Not sure exactly how it does it from the software angle. I presume it's an SMS initiated call as when I plugged the sim into a standard Ericsson K700i, it comes up "Not Allowed" or something similar then "Sending Message". The phone rings and you're connected. No special software loaded onto the phone to do it.

It looks like it's java, perhaps using the lightweight J2ME MIDlets - I think they can provisioned `over the air` - I guess the software then sends an SMS or a HTTP request to initiate the call. MT probably make their money from calls coming onto their network when people are roaming.

With the latest Nokia phones shipping with a basic SIP implementation it will become less of an issue in the future.

Yes - err and no.

I'll let you know what its like when mine arrives in a couple of days :)

It does seem to have lots of good points and a couple of bad ones. The bad points seem to the 'callback' requirement when making outgoing calls. Personally, thats not an issue taking into account the cost savings.

I will keep you posted..

busby2.jpg

Right chaps, can you unravel that lot to make sense to a simple blonde? I have a MT PAYG number, can I go to Domicillium and sign up for cheap roaming when on my hols using my existing number, phone etc?

Gladys,

Ive had an account with CallKey for sometime and have saved hundreds of pounds on roaming charges.

The Sim is a joint collaboration between them and MT.

No point using it on Island as it will cost you more .. you have to pay for the SMS as well.

Also not all providers support SMS so it depends very much on where you are going on hol.

It certainly works all over Europe and the States as well as India and most of Africa.

Yes its easy to sign up.

No point using it on Island as it will cost you more .. you have to pay for the SMS as well.

LoneWolf - Any idea how by entering a number the phone automatically sends an SMS to a given number? Thats the bit I cant work out, and how dialling *125* on unsupported phones achieves the same? Is this where there was some tie-in with Manx Telecom?

Gladys,

Ive had an account with CallKey for sometime and have saved hundreds of pounds on roaming charges.

Also not all providers support SMS so it depends very much on where you are going on hol.

It certainly works all over Europe and the States as well as India and most of Africa.

Yes its easy to sign up.

Thanks for that..

It says that Text cost is 7p compared with MT 10p - is that not what you found?

busby2.jpg

Not sure how the technology works but I was told the CallKey system seeks out the cheapest carrier available for the call.

Bear in mind you will be charged for the initiating SMS if the person you are calling doesnt answer.

But you will definately save mega bucks by using it abroad.

The cost of the text is whatever the local carrier charges so it varies.

Ive been pleased with it anyhow.

Right chaps, can you unravel that lot to make sense to a simple blonde? I have a MT PAYG number, can I go to Domicillium and sign up for cheap roaming when on my hols using my existing number, phone etc?

Gladys,

Yes its easy to sign up.

Thanks LW, hols is Spain. So would you recommend joining up to CallKey for the benefit of having mobile phone access during the hols? If it really is PAYG then there seems to be no reason not to and then revert to MT PAYG when back on the Island, particularly if you can use your existing MT PAYG number.

Believe me, I don't want to use my phone on holiday, but it would be reassuring to know that I could use it if needs must without going through the trauma of using local phone systems.

Thanks LW, hols is Spain. So would you recommend joining up to CallKey for the benefit of having mobile phone access during the hols? If it really is PAYG then there seems to be no reason not to and then revert to MT PAYG when back on the Island, particularly if you can use your existing MT PAYG number.

Believe me, I don't want to use my phone on holiday, but it would be reassuring to know that I could use it if needs must without going through the trauma of using local phone systems.

Gladys,

if its just for hols I wouldnt bother getting the SIM. You can get an account just using the standard call back service. You have to buy some credit up front. Im not sure how much it is now but it used to be quite low when I first had an account with them. Give them a call to find out.

For info there are some very competitive deals available in Spain from the public call centres ..

guess who provides the system [Call Key]

Archived