What Exact Speed Is It Suggested People Travel At

manxchatterbollox

After failing in the all Island speed debate, the DOT is now warning people of the dangers of driving too slowly.

http://www.iomonline.co.im/ViewArticle2.as...ticleID=1677022

Perhaps it is the intention of those in the know to extend the all island speed limit talks to impose an all Island maximium and minimum limit to make sure that people neither go too fast or too slow. Or maybe a conveyer belt system could be installed on Island roads so that people are unable to drive either too slow or too fast achieving a good average speed only. This conveyor belt could also avoid the delays caused by roundabouts and traffic lights and ensure that a consistent time is had by all.

Bruce Hannay - didn't he write The 39 Steps? Whatever, this is a good one and he's absolutely right to draw the attention of people driving agricultural vehicles and what not to the Highway Code.

I was in a squad car the other day and followed a tractor what felt like the entire length of the Old Castletown Road. He coulda and shoulda pulled aside.

The kamikaze overtake is a real problem with slow moving traffic, I must admit.

I think you will still fail your driving test if you don't maintain an appropriate speed relative to the road conditions and that used to be quite a common cause of failure - quite rightly so!

How about:

1) the regular re-testing of drivers to make sure people maintain their driving standards (after all, with more practice and experience we should improve, not get worse as is more often the case)

2) the requirement to hold a more advanced driving licence if we are to drive a more powerful or modified car. This already applies to HGV and PSVs so why not extend the idea?

Fact is the authorities can't possibly be in the slightest bit interested in road safety if they won't have at least a basic roadworthiness test for cars. I follow lots of vehicles with defective lights (including buses for example) and if that isn't an indication of negligent vehicle maintenance I don't know what is - if the driver can't regularly be a*sed to check his/her lights are working, what not-so-obvious safety related defects are present on the vehicle (brakes/tyres/suspension/steering/etc)?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I got a bit carried away there :)

1) the regular re-testing of drivers to make sure people maintain their driving standards (after all, with more practice and experience we should improve, not get worse as is more often the case)

ffs one test was stressful enough.

and there's enough strain on the testing centre as it is!

I wonder if the DoT wrote to their own bus drivers. Diving along the mountain every day I always see the so called express bus pottering along with a long queue of glum faced drivers behind it (I'm sooooo glad I go in the other direction)

I presume it will be pulling in somewhere to allow other drivers pass in future

Maybe you have driven in the States where traffic backlogs are the norm because of the combination of minimum and maximum speed limits applied on many of the freeways.

Here in the Island there is a lot of farming going on so we have to expect tractors to be crawling about.

Frustrating I know but dont expect Massey Fergusons to be travelling at 30 - 40 mph.

Chill out and think of all the good things!

People definitely should be reminded not to drive too slowly or to pull over occasionally if they have to for whatever reason.

A couple of days ago I was following some utter cretin in a volvo driving towards Douglas from the south. At 25 ****ing mph. I couldn't have overtaken safely because of lots of oncoming traffic so that was that.

So I thought (amongst lots of other things) that I'd simply overtake them when I get to Santon, but of course they did what every other driver afflicted with chronic stupidity and lack of awareness/consideration does when they get there and put their foot down as soon as they were going down hill, meaning I would have been breaking the law had I chosen to overtake them.

They then of course slowed down to about 30mph after they got past the dual carriageway bit as you might expect.

Why do so many people do it? It isn't like I wanted to tear-ass along at warp speed but I object to being forced to drive at just inappropriately slow speed because of someone else's whim/stupidity.

They need shooting in the face!

ffs one test was stressful enough.

and there's enough strain on the testing centre as it is!

I take it from your response that you think you should get worse as a driver the more experienced you become? That's the problem - nobody is seriously interested in road safety.

Don't be daft - more tests =more examiners=less motorists on the road=a good thing. Just like a roadworthiness test for cars would create jobs and clear the roads of vehicles that should have been scrapped already.

Archived