[fake News] Storm In A Tea Cup

PNP

Isle of Man residents are becoming increasingly concerned that they are not being told the full story by the DTI and local media in regards to the state of the Manx Film industry.

Some news organisations on the Island have been reporting possibly inflated ticket sales for the Alex Ryder movie Stormbreaker, which was largely filmed on the Island. On the 26th July this year Manx Radio reported that on the first weekend of the release of this kids action movie, that the UK box office takings were in excess of £2.3 million. However other inpedendant sources revealed that the actuall figure was in fact £1,244,892, only 54% of the figure quoted by Manx Radio.

On a seperate occasion Manx Radio reported that the film had taken £5 million pounds in its first week, however independant research shows that the film has not yet taken that amount of money after 3 weeks on general release.

Trade and Industry Minister Alex Downie says he read the reviews and is very pleased with the way the film’s been received, but as yet there has been no public release of the level of investment by the DTI, nor the level of return that is to be expected from the project.

As a whole the residents of the Isle of Man are extremely supportive of the local film industry, despite the frequent inconveniences to various members of the community, whether it be through road closures, or even closures of local businesses whilst filming is taking place.

Without true representation of the facts, on the costs and returns for tax payers, it remains to be seen if this support will continue.

Sources:

Stormbreaker Manx Radio 1

Stormbreaker Manx Radio 2

1st Week Stormbreaker Box Office Revenue

3rd Week Strombreaker Box Office Revenue

I have asked this question before, has anyone seen a balnce sheet for our film industry. If, as we are told, that the business is lucrative, why is it not self financing by now. Beware the ides of MEA

Does anyone know if I approach the DTI and ask for their official figures, if they will give them to me, I can't see why they shouldn't, they are a department of OUR government after all, which should be accountable to its citizens.

Its not exactly a matter of national security is it?

Archived