Terror Plot Puts Uk On Full Alert

Amadeus

'Plot to blow up planes' foiled - BBC

A terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight from the UK to the US has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said. It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on aircraft in hand luggage....

......Police have arrested about 18 people in the London area after an anti-terrorist operation lasting several months. Security at all airports in the UK has been tightened and delays are reported. MI5 has raised the UK threat level to critical - the highest possible.

Alex Jones Supporters Club members report to thread, please...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just reading about that and wondering why there was no topic on here yet.

Passengers will not be allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK, the department said.

Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board in transparent plastic bags.

No portable musc players, no books, no magazines, no children's toys. Have to hand in your mobile phone, gameboy, etc. That's not going to be much fun. Better than being blown up though so....

The official MI5 statement caught my eye

The current threat level is assessed as critical as of 10th August 2006 - this means that an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK

Restrictions in full, copied from the Sky website (which actually seems to have a ton more info than BBC for a change)

----------

All cabin baggage will be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

This includes battery powered items such as laptops, mobile phones and iPods.

Passengers may take only the following items through a airport security search point. They must be in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag. Nothing may be carried in pockets:

:: Pocket-size wallets and pocket-size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards, etc (not handbags)).

:: Travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets).

:: Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.

:: Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases; contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.

:: For those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).

:: Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes), tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs keys (but no electrical key fobs).

All passengers will be hand searched and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids will be x-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs will be allowed through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying will be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered will be removed from the passenger.

Ok, let's start the conspiracy bit then:

Terror 'may force freedom curbs'

The UK might have to modify its freedoms in the short term in order to prevent their "misuse and abuse" by terrorists, John Reid has said.

BBC - published yesterday, 15.20GMT

Coincidence?

Cue scary music and all that...

It makes sailing so much more attractive.

..or getting your private pilot's licence. :)

Unless you learnt to fly using flight simulators in the US and you are of middle-eastern descent (and I dont mean Foxdale), in which case you'll be enjoying a nice holiday in Cuba soon.

As a qualified PPL, I henceforth reserve the right - as Captain of my flights - to strip search any passengers.

Security hint: Blokes needn't be concerned...

As a qualified PPL, I henceforth reserve the right - as Captain of my flights - to strip search any passengers.

Security hint: Blokes needn't be concerned...

The complete cast of Fat Girls wants to book a trip to France with your airline - any chance? :)

Why not? Neither airports are in the UK.

Edit to add: Apparently it does apply because for the purpose of air travel the IOM is considered part of the UK. So says the man at the airport...

Archived