Peter Karran's Party

simon

I think the problem is that it's seen as - just as the title of this thread suggests - 'Peter Karran's Party' rather than a separate entity. I have some degree of respect for PK for being willing to ask the questions in Tynwald (despite his grotesque posturing and posing when he does so - and a suspicion that he doesn't always understand the answers!), but I certainly don't see him as any kind of political leader. Ultimately, the candidates who are standing under the Liberal Vannin umbrella will succeed or fail according to their own character and presentation - and I honestly don't believe that many of them will be occupying seats in the House of Keys after this election.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is one serious issue that worries me about Peter Karran which is that who are the people behind him who feed him the information he uses in Tynwald?????

I am worried that these indviduals may have an agenda of their own which isnt necessarily in the best interests of the Isle of Man.

I know what you mean. Sometimes the things he comes out with seem not quite Peter Karran.

I never quite saw Peter as a group animal either. This party thing surprises me. I definately don't see him as a leader either.

I also agree with LoneWolf, that loyal party members could morph into independents after the election. If any of them bar Peter get in, that is.

Where do other Politicians get their information to use in Tynwald?

Golf Courses, Lodge meetings and dinner parties probably (Bremner Bird and Fortune style!!).

post-1345-1162124349_thumb.jpg

With party politics, if there is a matter you are concerned about you can go along to a party meeting and discuss it collectively. More democratic and effective than having to canvass a number of politicans separately or within the same golf foursome one Sunday morning.

Regarding the morphing into Independents after the election, Lonewolf makes a very good point and one to be aware of.

Peter gets his info from the same place anyone with any sense would, it's called research.

All is available if you look in the right places,there's no secret to it.

Now repeat after me...........GOOGLE

Peter Karran asks a whole series of ridiculous questions over and over again.

This does seem to suggest he or his colleagues lack basic research skills or at best lack the ability to understand answers given to him.

The other side of the Peter Karran coin is this very positive move in founding a political party. Credit where it is due, we can't have anything that even resembles a democracy without the opportunity to vote for specific policies. That means party politics, anything else can't deliver the goods.

There is every possibility Liberal Vannin might attract good quality candidates.

The burning question is whether or not these candidates, once elected, intend to act as a genuine political party, forming either a Government or an opposition and adhering to party policies.

Alternatively, do they intend acting independently, in much the same way Peter Karran did when he was a member of the Manx Labour Party?

I for one view this as important pre election issue and Liberal Vannin party needs to make this crystal clear well in advance of the election.

Peter gets his info from the same place anyone with any sense would, it's called research.

All is available if you look in the right places,there's no secret to it.

Now repeat after me...........GOOGLE

Peter Karran asks a whole series of ridiculous questions over and over again.

This does seem to suggest he or his colleagues lack basic research skills or at best lack the ability to understand answers given to him.

The other side of the Peter Karran coin is this very positive move in founding a political party. Credit where it is due, we can't have anything that even resembles a democracy without the opportunity to vote for specific policies. That means party politics, anything else can't deliver the goods.

There is every possibility Liberal Vannin might attract good quality candidates.

The burning question is whether or not these candidates, once elected, intend to act as a genuine political party, forming either a Government or an opposition and adhering to party policies.

Alternatively, do they intend acting independently, in much the same way Peter Karran did when he was a member of the Manx Labour Party?

I for one view this as important pre election issue and Liberal Vannin party needs to make this crystal clear well in advance of the election.

There is one serious issue that worries me about Peter Karran which is that who are the people behind him who feed him the information he uses in Tynwald?????

I am worried that these indviduals may have an agenda of their own which isnt necessarily in the best interests of the Isle of Man.

I know the theme of information was meant in a different context in the above quote, but it set me wondering as to how organized Liberal Vannin (and any other political parties operating on the Island) are. If anything, I'd be more worried that there isn't anyone behind Karran feeding him information. If a political party has any hope of formulating coherent and consistent policy it requires at least a small team of researchers and advisors who can compile information and provide the kind of professional analysis that those formulating policy need but, for one reason or another, cannot achieve by themselves. A candidate can google away to their heart's delight, but that's not going to provide them with even the basic working knowledge of the intricacies of, say, economics, or the various schools of thought regarding the provision of health care that we may hope they have at their disposal. Indeed, I'd say that it is policy researchers and analysts who partly separate serious political parties from coalitions of individuals, and it would be interesting to see who or what Liberal Vannin have at their disposal when it comes to informing their policies.

Never mind a constitution and official 'registration' etc. IMHO, PK is only playing at party politics, which you can see with the choice/committment of candidates. Any new party needs to be formed and work years in advance on a proper basis.

£5 says it will start on Manx Forums in the next year. I can smell something big about to start. It'll just take the sudden realisation that we've got five more years of the same old shit coming before it happens.

_

Never mind a constitution and official 'registration' etc. IMHO, PK is only playing at party politics, which you can see with the choice/committment of candidates. Any new party needs to be formed and work years in advance on a proper basis.

I'm inclined to agree, although I can't seem to find any information on the candidates to judge how they were chosen. The Liberal Vannin website only seems to deem Karran as worth talking about in a personal capacity!

Personally, I question their appropriation of the Liberal epithet. I suspect much of it is a more or less cynical attempt to associate the party in the electorate's minds with the Liberal Democrats, the one big part that doesn't suffer from the taint that Labour or the Conservatives have in many people's eyes.

I'm inclined to agree, although I can't seem to find any information on the candidates to judge how they were chosen. The Liberal Vannin website only seems to deem Karran as worth talking about in a personal capacity!

Personally, I question their appropriation of the Liberal epithet. I suspect much of it is a more or less cynical attempt to associate the party in the electorate's minds with the Liberal Democrats, the one big part that doesn't suffer from the taint that Labour or the Conservatives have in many people's eyes.

Agree.

I think the Manx Liberal Democrats (MLD) or the Manx Reform Party (MRP) would be a good party and undo a lot of the right wing shit that's happened to the island over the past five years.

Funny how people keep blaming 'liberals' for all that's gone wrong with the UK in past years - but the fact is that the liberals haven't been in power for 80 yrs. People don't understand what it is to be a 'liberal' and a 'democrat'.

Time to get back to basics:

LAND of our birth,

O gem of God's earth,

O Island so strong and so fair;

Built firm as Barool,

Thy throne of Home Rule

Makes us free as thy sweet mountain air

You had to copy it?

I would have hoped that something you profess to be so dear to your heart might have been posted without the need to cut and paste. :/

Get real! If you think just because I am passionate about something, or even like a newspaper article or a link, that I'm going to spend an hour rewriting it - duh! ...think again.

Archived