Drunk Bus Driver

BunnyBoiler

Taking a look at the replies I have read (all of them) it appears you have all been taken in by the quote.

This poor person has made a mistake.

I do not know them or will know them. But each is allowed one mistake without being hung out to dry for a motoring offence.

MM will more than likely make an example of them and destroy them both professionally and personally.

There is a hugely unjust stigma surrounding motoring offences concerning alcohol for a first offender. I do not condone such a motoring offence but unless there are serious mitigating circumstances involved in this case and first mistake (and if it is) consideration should be taken into account and some human kindness shown toward them.

Yes a ban.

No resit.

Possible hefty fine.

Definitely no custodial sentence.

And some serious back up help to find other employment/retraining and support to overcome their well being.

If you do not agree with me show me some stats that prove more people are killed by over the limit drivers than drivers who are sober and reckless.

All the Best

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Taking a look at the replies I have read (all of them) it appears you have all been taken in by the quote.

Actually, rather than being 'taken in by the quote', I've been 'swayed by the evidence'.

Innocent until proven guilty?

From the article

The case of a bus driver convicted for a drink driving offence

I added the bold myself, just in case you missed it this time round too.

Sorry? What does convicted mean to you? Is there some alternative definition that means something else entirely that I've previously been unaware of?

It's a pretty unambiguous statement, what's to be reeled in about exactly?

In answer to a previous posting, we are not all angels here, hopefully we are all adults though.

A couple of weeks ago this bus would not have been almost empty, it would have been partly full of schoolchildren, possibly your child and precious parcel being driven down quite some steep hills by a drunken driver. I ask you,- if he takes a missed turn a bit sharpish and turns the bus over or hits an immovable object who's fault is it when you see the news and inevitable carnage that follows?

We can all make mistakes, yes, but take risks with other, innocent, lives?

Grow up matey.

So your all fucking angels now, how many of you can be sure that you have not been over the limit after having a drink the night before, or after a pub lunch and a couple of pints been ok to drive home at the end of the working day.

No but neither are we the sort of total fucking idiots who would drive 75 people around Douglas pissed up.

One an a half times over the limit, the morning after, when you have a driving job = total dickhead in my book.

I have been reading this thread and although I do feel for the guy (as someone said, thats his career totally destroyed, hell never get a driving job again I wouldnt have thought) its a stupid thing to do if you drive for a living.

I enjoy a drink, maybe too much, but I never drink in the week, as I have to drive all over the Island to see clients, and if I had done for any reason (you never know what the personal circumstance is, maybe hes having a hard time somehow) I would not go to work the next day.

End of the day he made a big mistake, he will get crucified for it, and hopefully hell learn from it, but I just bet that the punishment will not fit the crime. Read the papers any week and the variation of sentences/ fines/ CS given out for the same offence seems mad. I realise that there is always mitigating circumstance, but it never tallies.

MM seems to just make it up as he goes along!

Archived