Manx Grand Prix - Roads Closed To The Public

Amadeus

came out of town last night, towards the south, abandoned finch road as the queue to prospect hill wasn't moving (partly due to the brilliant road-narrowing scheme and now only one lane, so if one lane is blocked, both are !) and went up Xtain rd, circular road was solid so scooted off around the back roads and when I got to pulrose bridge, peel road was deserted, so can't understand why there was such a tailback on circular road ;(

(I think the trick is to always be going the opposite direction to everyone else, don't just always take the main road )

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know its been said before, but why dont they suspend the horse trams when TT course is closed. I was stuck in a long queue of traffic from Summer hill to Broadway yesterday afternoon because a bus could not pass a bloody horse tram.

I know its been said before, but why dont they suspend the horse trams when TT course is closed. I was stuck in a long queue of traffic from Summer hill to Broadway yesterday afternoon because a bus could not pass a bloody horse tram.

Yes but why can't it get through?

Between the Empress and the bottom of Sumerhill there is so much crap generated by Dandara (and others) on that stretch being developed that the road is effectively blocked. From scaffolding, to trucks and vans left parked at the side of the road, to other deliveries and diggers its absolutely impossible to get a car down the side of a tram let alone a bus.

Surely its a health and safety issue that they need to look at before the trams.

Well yes, but on the plus side we get horses shitting on the road and worryingly doddering pensioners nearly killing themselves as they try to get on or off the trams.

We'll the horses were here first, as for the doddering pensioners the Island has a lot of their own but an awful lot have come from the adjacent Isle and further afield just to ride on those horse trams. Next you'll be wanting to get rid of the horses and the horse trams as well.

We all have to try and live in harmony, that's what Island life is about isn't it?

Well yes, but on the plus side we get horses shitting on the road and worryingly doddering pensioners nearly killing themselves as they try to get on or off the trams.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last time I looked it was doddering horses and pensioners shi**ing in the road.

I can't believe that we keep these trams running when there is no logical reason to do so. Douglas ratepayers should be so bloody angry as they make a loss each and every year and yet nobody pulls the plug. They make no sense at all for the 100 or so people that decide to use them each summer.

Its quite sad watching the people who ride the trams. Its just the mad and the old. They are not even kitch.

Last time I looked it was doddering horses and pensioners shi**ing in the road.

It was them "doddering pensioners" that laid the foundations to the relatively good life you are able to enjoy today, and way too many times these days do people see "the elderly" as a problem, another something that's just in the way of our fast-paced lives these days - a thinking that's not only disrespectful, but also outright wrong, and quite frankly, pretty disgusting...

I can't believe that we keep these trams running when there is no logical reason to do so.

Does everything we do or have really need to have a logical reason?

Just as an example: My family's over here on holidays at the moment, and my little nephew (6 years old) absolutely loves the horse tram - he also loved watching the bikes whizz past during MGP - he'll be taking an awful lot of great memories back home, of that beautiful Isle of Man he went to - memories that will stay with him for years to come, and that no tourist marketing budget could ever create or buy.

Life is so great because it isn't entirely logical...

Does everything we do or have really need to have a logical reason?

Just as an example: My family's over here on holidays at the moment, and my little nephew (6 years old) absolutely loves the horse tram - he also loved watching the bikes whizz past during MGP - he'll be taking an awful lot of great memories back home, of that beautiful Isle of Man he went to - memories that will stay with him for years to come, and that no tourist marketing budget could ever create or buy.

Life is so great because it isn't entirely logical...

Yes. A £300,000 loss to give your nephew a treat is poor deal in my book. Douglas rate payers should be asking more questions on the trams.

They should be paid for out of tourist board funds, not subsidised by ratepayers who see no benefit from them, and get no benefit from them.

A £300,000 loss

Source? (Genuine question)

They should be paid for out of tourist board funds, not subsidised by ratepayers who see no benefit from them, and get no benefit from them.

Are you speaking for all of them, or is that only your opinion?

A £300,000 loss

Source? (Genuine question)

Are you speaking for all of them, or is that only your opinion?

Douglas is the highest ratable authority in the IOM. I think that you'll find I speak for most of them.

Its a tourist attraction. It should be paid for centrally. Not by ratepayers. Particularly as the last time they made a profit on the horses was 1979.

Its a total waste of ratepayers money.

On the 300K you're obviously not a Douglas ratepayer as its itemised on your rates.

Archived