Manx Grand Prix - Roads Closed To The Public

Amadeus

Aren't we going a bit off topic here?

Erm..yes. Just treat it as a random-totally-off-topic affair - the kind of thing that makes a forum more interesting at times :)

Its a tourist attraction. It should be paid for centrally. Not by ratepayers. Particularly as the last time they made a profit on the horses was 1979.

Its a total waste of ratepayers money.

Well, if this is your point of view (which I totally respect, especially as I am not a rate payer yet), and you think that other people might share it, then there's nothing stopping you from taking the initiative and calling for change in this matter - get off your chair and do something about it, you'll be surprised about how much you can achieve (Just make sure they keep the horse tram running, please?)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry, Government (or unelected civil servants) seem hell bent on taking over Douglas Corportion bit by bit until there's nothing left, they have the power station, the busses, the bus station, the Villa Marina, Derby Castle, the roads, just think how many offices they could move into the Town Hall when there is no Corporation :)

I know its been said before, but why dont they suspend the horse trams when TT course is closed. I was stuck in a long queue of traffic from Summer hill to Broadway yesterday afternoon because a bus could not pass a bloody horse tram.

I would not like to see the horse trams closed down. I just think it makes sense for a few days in June & September, when the TT course is closed, for the trams to stop. Hardly likely to lose a fortune in revenue.

At the same time, give the traffic wardens something worthwhile to do, and stop the people who double park for long periods. (Not talking about genuine delivery drivers)

As a Douglas ratepayer, I am quite happy to contribute to keeping things like the horse trams running, although I do agree perhaps these should be borne out of the central coffers. Either way, we all end up paying for them one way or another.

Believe me, the rates here are nothing like the Council Tax which is payable in the UK. (Sits back to watch a circular argument about the services provided by UK local authorities and the cost of those services.)

We should be proud and pleased that Amadeus' nephew enjoyed the horse trams and also the other visiting family enjoyed the MV Karina, Snaefell Wheel, MER and horse trams; these are all things that make the Island so special.

Archived