[BBC News]Aircraft '30 seconds from impact'

Newsbot

Upon its approach to Ronaldsway, the 50-year-old commander noticed the aircraft was not tuned to the Instrument Landing System (ILS).

It is considered that to knowingly take such action was highly inappropriate and runs counter to accepted practices

AAIB report

But because he was training a first officer at the time he decided not to point out the mistake.

Oh he was training? That's alright then.

Scary thought that, I don't think I like the idea of pilots training with passengers on board.

I suppose they have to learn with passengers at some stage.

Is scary though, Just goes to show what one mistake can do.

Hmmm. I'm only an amateur pilot, but without knowing ALL the details of this incident, I have to say that it may not have been as dangerous as it seems.

Depends on the weather - if the co-pilot was flying on instruments and the captain had good visibility, it all feels pretty reasonable. I hate to admit it, but the media LOVES to dramatise aeroplane stories with shock horror headlines and lurid details that any pilot would laugh at. All this '30 seconds to disaster' stuff smacks of hype.

Let's face it, when driving along at 30mph you're never more than a couple of seconds to disaster - should you decide to apply full steering lock!

ALL airlines operate a policy of on-the-job training - but to even get into the right-hand seat of a commercial airliner takes much more training than I've accrued over the years. And possibly the best way to train someone is to allow them to make 'safe' mistakes and then show them the error of their ways.

I'm not suggesting that airline safety should ever be compromised, but it SOUNDS to me reading this thread and the BBC item that the captain of this flight knew exactly what he was doing and there was never any REAL danger.

Chocks away!!

Agree with Stu on this one. The link in the other thread gives the full AAIB report on this 'incident'.

If you read into it, you will get the full picture.

What springs to mind is that scene in Austin Powers, with the fella in the path of the Road Roller...............

ooo chalk up another one thinking the Cregneash DME is the airport.

I wouldnt say its not dangerous tho. If you do something that the AAIB get involved in then its normally serious.

Ive always wondered about that DME at Cregneash and why its not at the airport. Anyone know?

Just a guess, but DME (Distance Measuring Equipment) is usually co-located with a VOR (VHF Omnidirectional Radio) - the big spoked aerial thingy at Cregneash that transmits radials (imagine a spoked wheel where you can select one of 360 spokes to fly along).

I would imagine that the IOM VOR/DME is primarily used as an enroute navigation aid rather than as an approach tool for Ronaldsway - which already has its own ILS (Instrument Landing System) glideslope.

Sorry for all the acronyms - but I'm guessing most people don't understand them. TTFN.

Anyone who has travelled past Heathrow on any day of the week, apart from yesterday possibly, will see loads of planes 30 seconds apart. These are landing and taking off at the same time. There has never been a collision at Heathrow airport, yet they are constantly 30 SECONDS FROM DISASTER. How many of those planes are being flown by learner drivers?

Just what we need to bring the tourists flocking to our door.

Instead of trying to sensationalise life on the IOM why not admit it is quiet and boring and let it be? May well incite people to visit and even move here. Or is that the object of the exercise?

Archived