Craig Lunt

Gladys

I was in two minds whether or not to post something on this, but seeing as dad, Keith, participated fully in the making and it gave the Craig's Heartstrong Foundation some good coverage, I thought a mention wouldn't go amiss and on the Local News rather than the TV forum.

It was one of three investigations on the programme tonight and I actually think the only one with a positive message, in this case about Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, which is apparently how the cause of Craig's death is categorised, and the efforts of friends and family to do something to facilitate screening for this kind of defect in other young sports people.

I doff my cap to you, and to the BBC who have, undoubtedly, brought this apparently treatable condition (if diagnosed) to the notice of so many.

I am glad you posted this Gladys, I have it got Sky +'ed and was in two minds wether or not to watch it. I have now decided that I will.

SADS is something that I have become aware of over the past 4 months (more info here) as I have been diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (one of many diseases that can be related to SADS). I should also say that I am grateful for this diagnosis. As mentioned, it is treatable if diagnosed and I am more than fortunate to be recieving excellent care both on the IOM and in the UK. I am lucky that I only black out, and it didn't take something a little more permanent to find out what was wrong with me.

I shall watch this programme, no doubt, with equal measures of sadness and hope. Sadness for those for whom it was too late, and hope for those that still have a chance.

• 2 years later...

I know I'm dragging up an old thread, but thought I'd tag my post onto this one.

The Craig's Heartstrong Foundation are organising their next next screening weekend on Saturday 31st October and Sunday 1st November 2009 at the Hilton hotel. Douglas. You can book a place for a free screening by clicking here. It's worth sparing a few minutes of your time to get checked out. Also as the screenings are from age 14, if you have teenage children then you can book them in as well.

In the past 4 years the great fundraising that everyone around the Island has been involved in for Craig's Heartstrong Foundation has led to three Isle of Man screening sessions, which have taken place at the Hilton Hotel. The screenings are fully funded by the charity and they are an opportunity for individuals ages 14 to 35 to get themselves screened for any detectable heart defects.

Please keep visiting the website for future announcements of screening weekends.

If you are still considering whether to do this then please bear in mind the story of Daniel Oram. He is local boy who excelled at football for his club Ramsey AFC. He came to the first screening last year and was diagnosed with a previously undetected hole in his heart. He has since had surgery to correct this and he has been told he has made a full recovery. If he had not attended the screening last year this may have remained undetected and the consequences of this do not bear thinking about. If you have any questions regarding this then please email craigsheartstrong@manx.net

Facts about these disorders

- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is an inherited condition.

- It affects about 1 in 500 people, most of whom will lead normal lives without experiencing symptoms.

- In severe cases people, including the young, can die suddenly.

- Fainting, breathlessness and chest pain are all symptoms.

- Treatments are improving all the time and referral is likely to benefit patients.

- Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a separate condition.

- About 25% of cases are inherited.

- It is more unusual than Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, affecting only around 1 in 2500 people.

- Screening for this condition is also thought to be beneficial.

Archived