Mr Steve Babb, Prospective Mhk For Onchan

lisner

From the comments on this Forum it looks like Mr Babb could be in the frame in Onchan.

If only that were true. Still, there's only another 6,500 people to persuade.

Realistically, I think it is down to four people for two seats in Onchan, but I'll let you all debate who those four people are. Still, it gives odds on paper of 50/50, which could be worse.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I am aware, there isn't a depost to pay.

As I understand the deposit was done away with to allow more people to stand, candidates simply pick up a nomination paper, have it signed by a nominator, a seconder and 20 eligible assentors then hand the paper in on Nomination day and away you go.

Ta for that, piece of piss.

In the UK it was increased recently to stop loonies and fellow travellers standing, didn't work though as can be witnessed by Mr Cameron and friends.

So me and my mates can sign a paper and stand as independants and cost the island tax payers a fortune? all for nothing?

So me and my mates can sign a paper and stand as independants and cost the island tax payers a fortune?

Yes.

I don't think you would cost the taxpayer a fortune though.

There is no deposit for candidates to stand, although candidates must pay for all their own printing and advertising costs. Candidates are eligible for a single mail shot to their constituents free of charge, however this is solely the postage, they must pay for the envelopes etc.

Senior civil servants must also offer their resignation. Although it seems this doesn't apply to MLCs currently.

So in terms of a financial gamble, it does all add up.

So me and my mates can sign a paper and stand as independants and cost the island tax payers a fortune? all for nothing?
The additional cost in a contested area would be minimal, it's the uncontested seats that would see a rise in costs, however I would imagine that no election would be viewed as a saving as opposed to an election being seen as a cost as the whole point of an election and recent changes to the Act is to encourage people to stand and take part.

So yes, you are correct, there is nothing to stop you putting yourself forward for any constituency as long as your 'mates' live in that area, are 16 or over and are on the Electoral Register.

Should Tony Brown start worrying?

Archived