Hillary Square To Get A New Gate - Maybe Sometime

manxchatterbox

after a Council member noted that the gate had been missing for seversal years by some miracle the Assistant Borough Engineer was able to report that "the blacksmiths are in the process of making new gates, which will be erected as soon as possible"..(but don't hold your breath for anything speedy happening)....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About time they did something, it was hanging off the last time I was there. I think the corpie are starting to get there act together concerning the parks and gardens...its probably down to having a couple of women working on them ! Not to mention the Mayor living right opposite Derby Square park.

Douglas used to have a well staffed award winning Parks and Gardens staff.

The few visitors we still attract often comment on how the public gardens are "not what they used to be".

I was speaking to one old timer in July who was making his 40th annual holiday visit to the Island.

He reeled off a whole series of stories about meeting his wife in the Villa Marina Gardens, about picnics with his children in Hutchinson Square etc, etc.

It would be nice to see the parks and gardens back to what they used to be.

Hey LoneWolf

Do you live in Douglas and have you seen the friggin rates us Douglas residents are paying for the Corpy ammenities which benefit the whole Island?

Crematorium

Horse Trams

Parks And Gardens including the sunken gardens

Nobles Park

I am sure there are many more but I cannot think of them now :rolleyes:

Why should we Douglas butties pay for this on our rates when it really benefits the whole Island?

Last 10

Indeed it is.

It could be a metal gate, a wooden gate or maybe something else.

Will they paint it, what kind of paint will the use or, in the case of a wooden gate, will they coat it with something else.

MCB - you are failing your fellow forum members, I demand you make ammends now!

Why should we Douglas butties pay for this on our rates when it really benefits the whole Island?

A lot of the capital's attractions and amenities should, properly, be ceded to Government.

Im willing to be corrected but my understanding is the Town council have proved reluctant to let go of their power base.

Matbe you should ask David Christian, in particular, why the Town Council has not ceded some of its responsibilities to government.

Archived