[BBC News]Manx police hunting armed robber

Newsbot

Very interesting - I especially liked the bit "he spoke with a Manx accent" - amazing that a terrified young lady would be able to pick out a Manx accent so easily, especially as there aren't that many "Manx" around now!

I thought that. "Alrriiighhht Yessirr! Give us your cash". Saying that, it's probably more the hybrid-manx accent very popular nowadays "Heyy boy! Slap us some of that cash or i'll hambap you with my piece fella"

I was confused by

The robber is described as white, aged 19 or 20, {snip} His face was covered with a black balaclava.
Must have had 'young' eyes.

That said however, it is a serious matter and worrying.

I was surprised that this was the second story on Manx Radio's 1 o'clock news today. The lead story seemed to be the thoughts of some journalist from a gay website about Manx legislation. I would have thought the armed robbery would be the lead story

If the gun was real this is one of the most serious crimes in the Island for years ... the only other example I can think of was the armed robbery in Castletown years ago ... he used his shot gun ... but if it was a real pistol it almost definitely has to be an illegal weapon smuggled onto the Island.

Even if it only turns out to have been a BB Gun, this is still very serious ... the people in the Takeaway had no idea ... afaik robbery with a replica weapon has the same punishment as the real thing ... the stress and shock are the same, so the punishment is too.

Archived