[manx Radio] Local Pubs Bin Sky

Ripsaw

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't H&B stop their managers from screening Turkish (and other) sourced matches a few years ago?

Maybe they'll be reinstalling the receivers (not!)

some of their pubs were using them again last season, the union & the haven were anyway

it's deffo a cheaper alternative, but a legal grey area

Didn't H&B stop their managers from screening Turkish (and other) sourced matches a few years ago?

some of their pubs were using them again last season, the union & the haven were anyway

There's no grey area. It's illegal and infringes copyright laws to broadcast premier league football on saturday afternoon. (there is an exact time, but I can't remember it)

The brewery withdrew them last year after legal advice, but after no prosecution of their rivals in town, they re-installed as you'd get a warning first.

There's no grey area. It's illegal and infringes copyright laws to broadcast premier league football on saturday afternoon. (there is an exact time, but I can't remember it)

The brewery withdrew them last year after legal advice, but after no prosecution of their rivals in town, they re-installed as you'd get a warning first.

The issue is normally in the UK - essentially the copyright laws say that live premiership matches can't be televised at 3pm because it can affect gate numbers at football grounds. It was more to protect the lower/local divison clubs.

This month's issue of Four-Four-Two magazine has an article on this and the FA Premier league state that "football attendances fall when matches are shown on tv, hence the instigation of a 'closed period' that prohibits the screening of Premiership matches between 2:45 and 5:15 on Saturday afternoons. The closed period is to protect attendances across the whole of football. For example, if a Man U games is shown on live tv on a saturday afternoon it affects the attendances at a club like Rochdale."

It does state further on that the 'closed period' doesn't apply outside of the UK which then throws up the old chestnut of the iom being in the British Isles but not the UK.

The way I see it is if the 'closed period' is to protect gate receipts at lower division clubs, how can iom pubs really affect these gate receipts?? In England I can see the point but not over here !!

Is it really that hard to claw back £96 a week?????

Totally agree - say Stand 58 for example - for a juicy game its conceivable that they will attract an additional 100 punters I know for a biggy I will usually be on about 6/7 pints, basic sums average spend £15 x 100 £1500 on one game.

I dont think its that expensive and pulling it will deter people

Can understand in tiny pubs

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news_de...categoryid=9001

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news_de...5&categoryid=35

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news_de...7&categoryid=35

The IOM copyright law is the same as in the UK, H&B got legal advice and were told it was illegal.

I'm not saying that they would be prosecuted, but to the letter of the law it's illegal.

You think they would take it out for no reason?

H&B will be leaving it in the busier football pubs eg the Cat, Strand, Heron etc.

Reckon it's worth them keeping it in all the country pubs? Even all their pubs in town compete with each other.

Archived