[manx Radio] Local Pubs Bin Sky

Ripsaw

I would think that H&B mean when they say it's no longer 'commercially viable', is that it cuts into their profits to much.

As H&B is, and has been for a long time, run by Accountants who couldn't give a flying fuck what the punters would like or think and haven't got a clue what Good Trade, Value for Money or a Fair Price means, what do you expect ?

As for me, it only means that I go to the Pub even less now and Shoprite will get more of my beer money and my mates can all come around for a beer and something nice to eat :D

H&B's Managment can go to hell as far as I'm concerned for being greedy bastards and I really hope it backfires on them. :angry:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid fucking idea. Fair comment for the pubs that don't pull in the punters but there's a stack of pubs that are, essentially 'football' pubs.

It'd be nice to know which 10 pubs they're keeping on Sky contract. I can think of at least two in Ramsey alone that are pretty much football pubs (although, I don't know for certain which are brewery owned and which aren't - heh, maybe they all are!).

As for me, it only means that I go to the Pub even less now and Shoprite will get more of my beer money and my mates can all come around for a beer and something nice to eat

The above quote sums up the future perfectly.

As for me, it only means that I go to the Pub even less now and Shoprite will get more of my beer money and my mates can all come around for a beer and something nice to eat

The above quote sums up the future perfectly.

Me too. Ten pack of Grolsch and the footy on Sky HD beats the shit out of watching the game in a packed 'so called' football pub.

As H&B is, and has been for a long time, run by Accountants who couldn't give a flying fuck what the punters would like or think.........

I presume you havent been to any of their uk outlets.....their pubs in the uk sell far superior products with a wider range...and they show $ky. So as ever, it appears to be just iom that gets the raw end of the deal.

For those that plan to watch football in the comfort of their own home i would recommend you get Art Sports. This is also what some pubs use. The subs cost £120 per year off ebay. You just need to buy the kit. Plenty of info at http://www.pubfootball.co.uk/publicans_leg...efence_plan.php - source your own equipment for cheaper.

Incientally........going back to the legalities......doesnt it strike you as double standards that you can go on holiday to Europe and sit in a bar watching sky....think Tenerife, Costa's, etc..etc...? $ky dont stop those pubs watching their channels (even when it should be a commercial contract) they just turn a blind eye.....cos its all money coming in through the doors at $ky HQ.

I'm sure that H&B's are struggling, the Island is far too small to justify a brewery of that size since the demise of tourism, and it is difficult to justify further investment in it's pubs I suppose.

Unfortunately this just accelerates the demise of passive entertainment on the island and makes it a boring hole to live in!

Heron and Brearley says the cost of Sky Sports - which stands at more than £5,000 per pub, per year - is no longer 'commercially viable'.

Manx Radio News

Bring back 5's 'n' 3's I say :)

But the link from andrew's post shows that a business with a rateable value of £550,001+, picking the most expensive option, shows a cost of £2,510 (per viewing card), so the H&B pubs must have two viewing cards per pub - drop it down to one viewing card and halve the costs, keep the sports channels :rolleyes:

I think the brewery are gearing up for the smoking ban, they have done up a few of their core pubs and they are all clones of each other.

By the time the smoking ban comes in I think all their pubs will be family friendly restaurant pubs, that look the same, have all the same menus.

By having all the same menus they can bulk buy their food, and maintain a conistancy across all of their pubs and also because of their bulk buying power they will be able to keep the prices competitive.

There will be no more of that "oh don't go to the Such & Such Hotel, the food is crap" which is mainly caused by staff moving a round so a bad chef wanting to change things to his style. The Brewery won't need to employ chefs as they can just get cooks to heat up their clone food. If a manager moves from one pub to another it will be easy as they already know how to do the clone food thing.

Most people will be happy with the consistancy because it takes the risk out of it, people are fed up with thinking where can we go for good food at a reasonable price. They will know that they can now go to any of the brewery pubs and it won't be great food but it will be okay. You can see that at coasters, the food isn't the best on the planet but they have a good range, something for everyone and every time you go there its the same, no matter who the chef is, even under new ownership.

Also what comes with this is. As the brewery did back in 1984 they will sell off alot of the pubs they are interested in. Probably keeping the ones they think they can speculate on because developers might want them in the future. There is more money to be made in selling a property than there is to be made in running an empty pub for years.

I hope this will give private buyers the opportunity to purchase pubs as free houses and then run them properly, building up community pubs with quizes, pool & darts teams, live music/kareoke, real ales, homely good value food, regulars who get to know each other, and go on coach trips to other pubs or events, Friendly staff who because they are respected and valued stay for a while so you get to know them and have a laugh with them, and they remember what you drink each time you come to the bar, a manager who mucks in and gets involved with the pub rather than just standing at the end of the bar looking too important to actually serve anyone.

And hopefully no damn TVs!

I have three TVs at home why would I want to go to the pub and watch TV? Okay then I hate football, but one of these new freehouses can set them up as a sportsbar and show the footy but then I can choose not to go there rather than have all the pubs with tvs. There is nothing worse than talking to somone and to watch their eyes glaze over the hypnotic glare of the tV takes their attention. Or perhaps I'm just boring.

p.s if anyone from H&B are reading this and they haven't thought of it yet, don't forget to send me a nice big cheque :D

I'm sure that H&B's are struggling, the Island is far too small to justify a brewery of that size since the demise of tourism, and it is difficult to justify further investment in it's pubs I suppose.

Unfortunately this just accelerates the demise of passive entertainment on the island and makes it a boring hole to live in!

Or the possibilty for more entrepreneurial landlords to pick up freehold/free of tie sites.....anyone up for a Manxforums consortium bid?????

According to Daltons....£2.2million will get you The Creek!!!!

By the time the smoking ban comes in I think all their pubs will be family friendly restaurant pubs, that look the same, have all the same menus.

And be empty all through the week and be empty by 4pm on a Sunday.

Good Company Plan that one :blink:

And be empty all through the week and be empty by 4pm on a Sunday.

Good Company Plan that one :blink:

The pubs are empty through the week now, it will be even worse when the smoking ban comes in. Hence turning them in to restaurants. They could probably close after lunch and open for tea time.

I hope this will give private buyers the opportunity to purchase pubs as free houses and then run them properly

You jest sir ! :lol:

havn't you heard of covenants, like properties never ever being allowed to trade as a licenced premises when sold off by the brewery ?, wouldn't like any competition or the profits may go down :(

I don't understand what they are up to. I meet up with a dozen plus mates to watch footie in our local and we have been told sky is coming out. After a big debate we all agreed to use our houses for the big games, a few cases of carling and some grub by the host of the day. As for the other games not so important we won't be travelling to watch them in another pub so I'm afraid it's stay in time from now on.

Archived