[manx Radio] Local Pubs Bin Sky

Ripsaw

But the link from andrew's post shows that a business with a rateable value of £550,001+, picking the most expensive option, shows a cost of £2,510 (per viewing card), so the H&B pubs must have two viewing cards per pub - drop it down to one viewing card and halve the costs, keep the sports channels :rolleyes:

Ah If only you were right, but its not that easy. Its Sky that are making the money here. If you look at the figure you quoted of £2510 you will see that that is the price per MONTH :(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...pubs as free houses and then run them properly, building up community pubs with quizes, pool & darts teams, live music/kareoke, real ales, homely good value food, regulars who get to know each other, and go on coach trips to other pubs or events, Friendly staff who because they are respected and valued stay for a while so you get to know them and have a laugh with them, and they remember what you drink each time you come to the bar, a manager who mucks in and gets involved with the pub rather than just standing at the end of the bar looking too important to actually serve anyone.

And hopefully no damn TVs!

Not too keen on the karaoke... possibly a pianist leading sing-songs... plus, of course, ban all keg ales except bitter and mild (my dad always told me that lager was something sweet - for the ladies). Oh, and forget the 'good value food,' there's nothing wrong with a packet of crisps (as long as they're only plain - as the good lord made them!) and if anyone other than a female asks for wine, tell them they're poufs and recommend emigration to France. Then, of course, there'd have to be busty barmaids in ve-rry low-cut tops so we could all make ancient jokes about 'double tops' and......

ban all keg ales except bitter and mild (my dad always told me that lager was something sweet - for the ladies).
Pffft, ban all kegs full stop, they are the 'TV Dinner' of beers (except that even TV dinners require some user input). A proper pub serves only cask ale straight from the barrel, hops n'all. No need for any of that puffy brewery conditioned p**s.
Then, of course, there'd have to be busty barmaids in ve-rry low-cut tops so we could all make ancient jokes about 'double tops' and......
Flagons of ale, a spitoon in the corner and recycled dregs... Ahhh happy memories.

Pffft, ban all kegs full stop, they are the 'TV Dinner' of beers (except that even TV dinners require some user input). A proper pub serves only cask ale straight from the barrel, hops n'all. No need for any of that puffy brewery conditioned p**s.

Don't you dare ban all kegs -- I want my Guinness :P

Don't you dare ban all kegs -- I want my Guinness :P

Real Guinness is bottled, stored at 58.6 degrees Fahrenheit (Please note - none of that flashy continental Centigrade/Celsius nonsense) for two weeks and is then poured slowly and lovingly into a glass to be savoured by the true connoisseur.

Real Guinness is bottled, stored at 58.6 degrees Fahrenheit (Please note - none of that flashy continental Centigrade/Celsius nonsense) for two weeks and is then poured slowly and lovingly into a glass to be savoured by the true connoisseur.

Your right about the "Original" Guinness

but a lot of pubs either dont keep it at all or if they do have it, they store it badly.Usually too cold. So the draught is a reasonable option .

I must admit I generally like cask beers but if they aren't kept well then the keg alternative is often a better bet as badly kept cask beer is horrible where as its difficult for even the worst landlord to spoil a keg bitter. :huh:

Incientally........going back to the legalities......doesnt it strike you as double standards that you can go on holiday to Europe and sit in a bar watching sky....think Tenerife, Costa's, etc..etc...? $ky dont stop those pubs watching their channels (even when it should be a commercial contract) they just turn a blind eye.....cos its all money coming in through the doors at $ky HQ.

Watching Sky outside of the UK is in breach of copyright (although it does happen in many places).

You will find that the Sky box & card are "registered" to a UK address, then shipped out.

I think it's ridiculous that pubs have TV, they would be much better places without them - you could even have a conversation with some friends or something like that!

There's nothing worse than wanting to go out for a "quiet pint" and finding the pub full of drunk annoying rowdy footy supporters.

I can't see the point in going to a pub to watch TV when most people have a TV at home.

I think it's ridiculous that pubs have TV, they would be much better places without them - you could even have a conversation with some friends or something like that!

There's nothing worse than wanting to go out for a "quiet pint" and finding the pub full of drunk annoying rowdy footy supporters.

I can't see the point in going to a pub to watch TV when most people have a TV at home.

Add to that list .. juke boxes playing so loud you cant have a conversation and "families" who think they have arrived at a restaurant and think people wanting a pint and a smoke shouldnt be there.

I think the brewery has totally lost the plot with the managed houses.

They have driven away most of the drinkers by focussing almost exclusively on a "youth" market.

They have ruined any chance of getting a good pint by serving food in the bar. [People used get kicked out for munching chips because it killed the bitter] and they have made folk who just want a pint and a chat feel unwelcome.

Rock on H&B. You arent doing it in Liverpool so why do it here?

Watching Sky outside of the UK is in breach of copyright (although it does happen in many places).

You will find that the Sky box & card are "registered" to a UK address, then shipped out.

Correct

Depends on the pub and the poeple, not all football fans that watch tv in a pub are drunken yobs

"Most people" dont have sky sports

Rock on H&B. You arent doing it in Liverpool so why do it here?

Good point, well made

Having been in a few H & B pubs today I can read between the lines of the recent announcement.

Yes we are getting rid of Sky Sports but worry not. We are keeping the foreign channels that cost far less.

Who needs Jamie Redknapp and Gary McAllister at half time anyway?

Dont know if its already mentioned but £100 will get you a dish to view ART arabian channel which shows all premiership games including Saturdays plus as much Johnny Vaughan (rhyming slang) as you can shake a stick at.

Who needs pubs !!

Dont know if its already mentioned but £100 will get you a dish to view ART arabian channel which shows all premiership games including Saturdays plus as much Johnny Vaughan (rhyming slang) as you can shake a stick at.

Who needs pubs !!

Is there anyone over here who supplies/fits them.

It's purely for the footy you understand.....

Archived