[manx Radio] Local Pubs Bin Sky

Ripsaw

Having been in a few H & B pubs today I can read between the lines of the recent announcement.

Yes we are getting rid of Sky Sports but worry not. We are keeping the foreign channels that cost far less.

Who needs Jamie Redknapp and Gary McAllister at half time anyway?

I KNEW IT....

Told you so

*feels smug*

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont know if its already mentioned but £100 will get you a dish to view ART arabian channel which shows all premiership games including Saturdays plus as much Johnny Vaughan (rhyming slang) as you can shake a stick at.

Who needs pubs !!

Is there anyone over here who supplies/fits them.

It's purely for the footy you understand.....

Speak to one of the main TV and Satellite places over here, they should give u a clear viewon how to get connected

I see on the MR site that H & B's are resorting to screening Al Jazeera in pubs for the free UK league footie.

Is this actually legal? I assume if Sky are stupid enough to license coverage to another satelite channel they can't stop it being received outside of the Middle East or anywhere else in the world.

Its a great idea.

Maybe Okells could sponsor "fundamentalist" hour on Al Jazeera?

not quite that clear cut. there is no law about receiving tv pics, so long as you have a licence....

however the question comes from public performace of the soiund and picture and this could be classed as breaching that. difficult to prove if the pub has the relevant performing licence as if they were showing BBC2, repeats of Elderado, and some punter switched the channel over, then who are the pub to even notice? The FA would have to take action in a Manx court and prove their contrcat with sky tv has been frustrated and they have suffered financial loss - er, if the Heron or the Fox & Glove pub can bring down sky tv.... good luck to em

I hate the exploitation by sky. It grates me to pay for my sky+ every month.....i only have it as my normal tv signal is crap...... in fact where i live i get a nasty mix of border and ch 5 on the same ch.

According to the Guardian recently "The Premier League has tried to sue the five pubs in Portsmouth showing matches on Al-Jazeera but in two cases last month the landlords were cleared because the judge ruled they were not aware they were doing anything illegal. The other three had their case dismissed after the judge refused the Premier League time to gather more evidence. The pubs' problem is that they now know they will be challenged and must decide whether to carry on and risk getting caught."

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the Premier League will keep trying to sue and are currently looking for ways to do so. If this trend continues, I would suspect those who control the rights will simply refuse to licence Al-Jazeera next time (or bind them by contract as Sat broadcast footprints to specific regions/countries can be easily blocked), and we will be back to square one anyway.

Sky football is a licence to print money at the moment. If they capped the wages in the Premier League poor old Joe Public wouldn't be expected to pick up the ever rising wages tab and broadcasts would be cheaper. When non-premier clubs play Premier League sides on Sky e.g. FA Cup, it can mean £500K for the non-league side for just one appearance (and often a >£50m side playing a <£5m side). The moneymen have destroyed footie for the average family, limited the number of games the average fan can now attend, and are now stuffing it for the average pub-goer. They have also placed a massive gulf between the PL and the rest.

Archived