Telecom Changes

TomTucker

Manx Telecom announces changes to residential and business fixed line tariff structure

From September 1 2006, Manx Telecom will offer a choice of four fixed line tariffs to:

1. New customers requiring a new telephone line in a residential property or business premises.

2. Existing customers moving house or business premises and requiring telephone service at their new house or premises.

3. Existing customers requiring additional telephone lines at their house or premises.

These tariffs apply to customers using their telephone service for both personal and business use.

The four tariffs that will be available are: “Island Choice”; “Global Choice”; “Standard Choice”; and “Low User Choice” (formerly Lifeline).

Customers currently on a residential or business tariff will not be affected unless they fall into one of the above categories. However, customers not affected are free to switch to another tariff at no additional charge should they so wish.

The main features of the four tariffs are as follows:

Island Choice

• FREE local calls during evening and weekend

• Local calls capped at 10p for up to ONE HOUR during the Daytime (8.00am-6.00pm Mon-Fri)

• Up to 40% reduction on call charges to Pronto mobiles, compared with Manx Telecom standard call rate

• Family Plus discount applies

• Cheaper rates to many International destinations

• FREE rental for Voicemail and Caller Display

• Monthly line rental from £13.00*

• Billed monthly

Global Choice

• Calls to the UK capped at 10p for up to ONE HOUR at all times

• Cheapest peak period call charges for all call types

• Local calls capped at 10p for up to ONE HOUR at all times

• FREE rental for Voicemail and Caller Display

• Monthly line rental from £17.00*

• Billed monthly

Standard Choice

• Manx Telecom`s standard call rates to Local, UK & International destinations

• Family Plus discount

• Additional services such as Voicemail and Caller Display available

• Monthly line rental from £9.00*

• Billed monthly

Low User Choice (formerly “Lifeline”)

• For customers who like the security of a fixed telephone line but who make very few outgoing calls and require no additional supplementary services such as the Internet.

• Call charges are Manx Telecom standard rates x 2.093

• Quarterly rental of £11.75 inc VAT

• Billed quarterly

All tariffs are billed monthly and include VAT (exc Low user Choice)

*Rental charges assume payment by direct debit, otherwise add £1 per month to prices quoted (exc Low User Choice)

All call charges include VAT and per minute unless where stated.

Minimum call charge applies of 5.05p inc VAT per call (exc free calls and calls with a fixed fee element) on Standard Choice, Island Choice & Global Choice tariffs.

Minimum call charge applies of 10.58p inc VAT for calls from Low User Choice (exc calls with a fixed fee element).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh WoW - thanks so much MT, now how about sorting out the stupid land line to mobile phone charges? We just got our phone bill, and once again there are 6 mobiles on our friends and family discount list, do I know any of the numbers? no, why is this? becuase they are my daughters friends mobile numbers, £85.00 worth of calls. This added to the PAYG credit I buy for her.....puke! thanks a bunch MT, I still wish I had a choice of phone operators - MT would be my last choice. The mobile phone service is rubbish, crackles and drops out - I do not have these problems in the UK when I use my Virgin chip.

Cue Concrete for a shameless plug...... :D

haha not quite. As we have fancy names, our unlimited voip tariff is "friends, family and strangers" tariff.

Customers currently on a residential or business tariff will not be affected unless they fall into one of the above categories. However, customers not affected are free to switch to another tariff at no additional charge should they so wish

If i have read that right, you have to ask to switch over to the new standard tariff from the old standard tariff? Why not just switch everyone over to the new standard tariff? Or have I read that wrong.

So because your daughter spends £85 phoning her mates, it's MTs fault...? It's not like they suddenly throw a load of charges on to your bill, everyone knows anything more than a 10 second chat is going to cost a lot landline to mobile or mobile to mobile, especially on PAYG. If she has no awareness over the amount of money she's costing you in phone charges then make her aware! If she knows but doesn't care because you keep giving her money, maybe you should stop and point her in the direction of a Saturday job.

Are you serious? she is 13 so isn't allowed to work, neither am I dragon mum who restricts phone usage, when MT make £15million in 1 year and send the staff on all manner of jollies, I cannot justify the mobile phone charges - You think the call charges are OK? Is it right that you should only be able to afford 10 second chats?

since they are making changes to mobiles and now landlines in the face of competion wonder when we can expect a decently priced ADSL package ?

What would you call decently priced Willow? And what would you expect in terms of speed/quota/limits?

(These are genuine questions, not being sarcastic)

Are you serious? she is 13 so isn't allowed to work, neither am I dragon mum who restricts phone usage, when MT make £15million in 1 year and send the staff on all manner of jollies, I cannot justify the mobile phone charges - You think the call charges are OK? Is it right that you should only be able to afford 10 second chats?

Just out of interest, do your daughters friend (on the phone bill) live within a 10 minute walk from your house, and are the calls usually made within 5 minutes of her walking in through the door or 5 minutes before she walks out of it?

ps. Teaching your 13 year old to be responsible with other people's (your) money doesn't make you a dragon mum, and blaming MT for giving their staff 'jollies' isn't going to bring this or your next phone bill down.

Just out of interest, do your daughters friend (on the phone bill) live within a 10 minute walk from your house, and are the calls usually made within 5 minutes of her walking in through the door or 5 minutes before she walks out of it?

No, we live in Douglas, her friends live in Crosby, Onchan, and Santon.

Responsible with money, isnt that similar to not allowing ones self to be ripped off?

What would you call decently priced Willow? And what would you expect in terms of speed/quota/limits?

(These are genuine questions, not being sarcastic)

You should launch a homesurfer option, say £9.99/month 2MB capped to 1 gig a month for general homes and small business that need always on internet access. this would convert the vast majority from 56k but who find the £111 per quater too much to spend.

Keep the current service for those who are more bandwidth hungry, but I'd like to see a halving of the cost and a doubling in speed at least - 8MB would be nice too as long as upstream speeds arnt too badly compromised.

oh and sort out manx.net email, that is an embarressment on so many levels, spam riddled and totally insecure ! :o

Free landline calls on Dial Plus - for the first day of the Month starting with a J, There after, 2p/min for those homes with yellow walls and at least 20sq/ft of front garden (excludes drives) when they spend 3.25 on call to pizza delivery lines.

unless - thay have 2 dogs, and a cat - and they subscribe to "Pants" monthly news letter, in which case they get 30 mins of free calls every second for a fixed fee of 2.75 when taking call display and the free voice mail service.

At all other times the call costs are 5p/hour for the first 30 seconds when the subscribe to the "chat-along" tariff.

Users on the "waffle" tariff who spend more than £12 on the "waffle extra" package and pay by diect debit and own a green estate car can have a "splodge" discount applied to their calls when the subscribe to the "its only a cover up for expensive calls" tariff.

Why have all these differing tariffs and monthly charges, the lines have been in place for years, everyone pays a line rental - why not have a "good honest simple to understand tariff so everyone knows what its going to cost 'em" package.

Pay your line rental and get free local 016 and 076 evening and weekend calls - all for the price of your line rental as it is. And while we are at it - dial up interweb thingy, chuck that in for free as well for domestic users - its old hat technology, and never bloody works anyway.

Simple, job done.

Fake link for a good old fashioned, pay your bill and get a service you know what you are paying for web shite

No, we live in Douglas, her friends live in Crosby, Onchan, and Santon.

Responsible with money, isnt that similar to not allowing ones self to be ripped off?

Fair enough on the distance of friends. Maybe VOIP would be a consideration for you to think about.

On being ripped off, we are all in the same boat. Bread is over £1 a loaf but I don't eat it often ehough to finish a loaf before it is past its best or buy a bread maker as many on here would advocate. So I freeze half to be consumed later.

With phone bills we know the cost is relevitely high, as are Electric and Gas bills. There is nothing wrong with self moderation and setting rules. My 7 year old knows to flush, wash hands and turn the light off when he visits the bathroom, he knows that when phoning his mum he isn't allowed to run up the bill talking to her dog.

I hate high bills, we all hate high bills and whilst it is the companies that set the tarrifs, it is us that decide what is acceptable usage and what isn't for us and for our children.

If we can not influence the tarrifs we have responsibiliy to ourselves to at least reduce the consumption as we all have expenses that we have to spend money on and we all have non essentials that we chose to spend money on.

With you on that The Bees, I got my telephone bill with a stonking £164 of call charges; the majority of which are to MT mobiles. My 13 year old just doesn't realise how much these calls cost. And can you block calls to mobiles? No you can't!

Manx Telecom announces changes to residential and business fixed line tariff structure

My god, the bullshits flowing. This is a price hike, nowt else, and a big one too.

Currently, standard fixed line rental is £23.50. The closest package to that is the standard choice, wich is £27 a quater if you pay by DD, or £30 a quater if you dont. That's a price hike of £6.50 a quater for nothing extra.

But what else? Minimum call charges? Currently the minimum call charge is .050. On these new tarrifs, if what's here is correct, it's 5p per call. A huge increase! Now it's gunna cost you 5p if you hit an answerphone and hang up? Fucking conning twats.

Customers currently on a residential or business tariff will not be affected unless they fall into one of the above categories. However, customers not affected are free to switch to another tariff at no additional charge should they so wish.

So what does that mean exactly? If you get a new line you can pick the new tarrif. If you dont, you can too? Huh?

Archived