Britain’s Strongest Man

Amadeus

Came across this on the gov website:

Transport Public Notices - 16 August 2006 - Transport Public Notice

PROMENADE WALKWAY (DOUGLAS) (TEMPORARY SUSPENSION OF CYCLEWAY) (NO 6) ORDER 2006

The Department gives notice that it intends to make an Order the effect of which will be to suspend that length of the cycleway on Douglas Promenade between the northern extremity of the War Memorial and the bollards adjacent to the Sunken Gardens.

The Order will be in effect from 10.00 a.m. on Saturday 26 August 2006 until 8.00 p.m. on Sunday 27 August 2006 or until the Britain’s Strongest Man Competition is completed, whichever is the earlier.

Anyone know what that is? Sounds interesting, but can't find any info about it...

I'd expect the IOM Gov to advertise events like this, it's not even in their 'Whats on' guide though. I often hear about events after they have happened - maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

I do think that the IOM tourism should get away from the main Gov website (gets swallowed up) and put a bit more effort into it.

The www.visitisleofman.com site is pretty poor I think, although full of content.

Maybe take note from somewhere like:

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/pro...ProductID=10320

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/

It's only recently been finalised.

It starts at 11am on Sunday.

It is the final of Britain's Strongest Man.

Next weekend yes? Where is it actually being held, on the prom? (this is probably obvious from the notice but just wanted to check)

Thanks for the additional information ade.

You'd think that this would be soemthing that needed to be organised somewhat in advance. I get the feeling that yet again, the island has missed an opportunity to fly the flag and get some publicity and tourism out of this.

You are right. I think it's fantastic publicity for the Island. SKY sports are coming over to film it too.

I believe there is a IOM Gov. media release being done.

If this works out and is received well, I think they may even consider us for the World's?

Oops, sorry Minxie, yes it is next Sunday 26th at 11am.

My son used to love these competitions when he was younger (he is now 13), so I made the fatal mistake of mentioning it in passing to him.

It now appears that there is a pile of his friends staying over on Saturday night, and we are all going up to watch it on Sunday morning! I am secretly quite glad, as I thought he was too old to want to go :D

Ok, I have googled, dogpiled, you name it and cannot find when it is on TV. I have also spent the best part of the last hour looking through the Sky planner.

Does anyone know when it is going to be on TV please? My two attention whores of kids wish to + it so that they can play "spot themselves"!.

Any help gratefully recieved :)

Ok, I have googled, dogpiled, you name it and cannot find when it is on TV. I have also spent the best part of the last hour looking through the Sky planner.

Does anyone know when it is going to be on TV please? My two attention whores of kids wish to + it so that they can play "spot themselves"!.

Any help gratefully recieved :)

SKY sports are showing it over the Christmas period.

Archived