The Lady's Not For Turning..but The Little Sister Is...

manxchatterbox

MCB what was your overall impression of the day?

I know the wheel was great etc, but what did you think of the general organisation of the event?

My daughter and son went and was not too impressed with what was there!!!!

Last 10

Great title MCB! :thumbsup:

I had intended going down this evening, as it promised to be a great event with lasers and all, but just too knackered after a day out.

It looks well attended and was, probably, a grand day out!

Well done to all involved! We chatted to some involved in the Shore on Friday evening, I bet they are all rather relieved!

LT - it was very children oriented and those ages 3 to 8 or so would probably have had a great time... for the adults there was bthe band music and the beer tent ...stayed about an hour - had an ice cream and that was enuf....very impressed with the new wheel... good job the weather was fine..maybe the venue could be used more often with the bouncy castles etc...some sort of full time kiosk would be good with some display of what activities there used to be there...and allowing for some where to go when its raining...

Thanks MCB

Baby LT thought it was a bit baby bouncy castle oriantated but i agree with you about a full time kiosk about the activities of what used to be there!

Probably this is catered for at the little heritage shop near to Laxey Fire Station on Ham and Egg Terrace!!

Cheers MCB

P.S Nice piccies by the way...

LT

...some display of what activities there used to be there...

There are a few sun bleached info boards with photos dotted around the area.

I agree that more information should be available and the existing boards should be refreshed.

Downstream from the wheel the photo shows when the floors were in full swing, I didn't realise until seeing the photo that the stream was concealed along its length and the photo made sense of the remains of the brickwork etc. that supported the cover.

It's one thing to see a photo in a book at home or on the web, but another when it can be viewed in the context of the subject.

Well done to all the volunteers.

IIRC it's the original Snaefell mountain wheel. The pit was dug out in the washing floors to make this wheel fit it - there was a wheel there originally, but not this one.

No idea whether it actually has a name or not though.

Hi MCB, many thanks for the pics...... makes me feel homesick I was brought up just down the road from the Valley (aka washing floors!) gardens......

Does anyone know when the original wheel was removed from the Valley gardens? My dad never ever mentioned that there was another wheel..... he was fetched up on mines road (near where the fire st is/was?)

Does anyone have anymore pics to share please?

Archived