Hospital Treatment

FCMR

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a new recruit in the blood donor brigade of the Isle of Man :-) I have meant to do it for years but finally got round to doing it when there was a big push to get people to donate to increase the stocks for this years TT. The staff were all really really nice and I would thoroughly recommend anyone who has quietly toyed with the idea to go along and do it. I obsessed for weeks about where my one little pint might have ended up - it could have been split into blood products or it could have been used as it was... who knows???? Heh!

I used to give blood but for some reason I stopped. I think it was when the clinic stopped coming to Ramsey and I couldn't get to Douglas.

I don't think their are any other blood clinics on the Island now apart from the one in Douglas.

I used to give blood but for some reason I stopped. I think it was when the clinic stopped coming to Ramsey and I couldn't get to Douglas.

I don't think their are any other blood clinics on the Island now apart from the one in Douglas.

There's one in Ramsey this Sunday. They are also held in Castletown, Peel, Port Erin and of course Douglas. If anyone should wish to become a blood donor they should contact Sue or Carol on 650637 rather than just turning up.

There's one in Ramsey this Sunday. They are also held in Castletown, Peel, Port Erin and of course Douglas. If anyone should wish to become a blood donor they should contact Sue or Carol on 650637 rather than just turning up.

I used to give blood - and thought of doing it again a few months ago - so rang the above number at that time....... girl who answered took my name and number and said she/they would phone me back to tell me when to come...they never did..I will follow it up, but was surprised they didnt have the time to speak to me, I would have happily phoned again, but they told me to leave my name and number - I will donate again, just had forgotten about it as a result

I donate in Castletown every 5 months or so.Its held on a sunday morning at Castle Rushen High School.The nursing staff are so kind & really put you at ease if you are a nervous donator.They really look after you...plus,you get a cuppa & as many biccies as you want afterwards! :)

Two days ago a friend of my Mother's was taken into hospital, seriously ill. Staff at the hospital informed her that should his condition deteriorate in the night they would give her a ring, as she had agreed to support his wife during this difficult time, and drive her to the hospital if need be.

When the phone call came at 3am, she picked up his wife and drove to the hospital expecting the worst, but hoping to at least be able to say goodbye.

When they arrived, all the doors were locked. They spent 15 minutes trying to get in, before eventually finding the A & E entrance. Apparently the A & E entrance is the only one open at night, but nobody thought to inform them of this.

He was dead by the time they got inside.

In all probability he died before they rang, but can you imagine spending 15 minutes trying to get into a building when you know your partner is inside dying?

That's very sad indeed and obviously the result of a breakdown in communications - perhaps your family could suggest to the hospital that it might be useful/helpful to erect a cleary visible sign at the main doors, if there is not already one in place, to prevent further anxiety to others who find themselves in similar situations.

There's a sign by the main entrance saying something like 'Enter via A&E after 9pm'. And A&E is about a 30 second walk away.

You mean they stood outside a locked door for 15 minutes and didn't bother to look around?

It's a bit harsh to try and blame the hospital for that when it sounds like it was just due to stupidity.

The nursing staff are so kind & really put you at ease if you are a nervous donator.They really look after you

I'd like to donate blood and I've thought about it plenty of times but I'm afraid I have to admit that when it comes to needles I'm the world's biggest pussy and even though I'm sure it doesn't actually hurt I'm sh1t scared of actually doing it which makes me feel quite selfish to be honest.

I guess they're probably used to wimps like me though and I ought to really try next time they're doing this. Who knows when any of us might need a freebie pint or two from someone else after all.....

Cret, I hate needles and I managed it. Go for it! They give you a local so that you can't feel it anyway - and I didn't even look at it coming out and just sat and squeezed the squeezy thing completely ignoring what was going on in the arm region! (And you thought you were a pussy?) I think it only took about 20 minutes as well.

Archived