Hospital Treatment

FCMR

Of course I realise that they were distressed and that under those circimstances people make mistakes. What I don't accept is that the hospital was the cause of that.

I don't think that's strictly fair - it stands to reason that most people are fortunate enough not to have to frequent the hospital on a regular basis. Whether or not a sign was visible, thinking about it, it would have been advisable to inform the family as to how they should gain access to the building during the telephone conversation summoning them to attend.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No I don't think so.

Of course I realise that they were distressed and that under those circimstances people make mistakes. What I don't accept is that the hospital was the cause of that.

So, somebody making a mistake in those circumstances is "stupid"?

Well perhaps you could tell me what they did for the 15 minutes that they were standing outside the door.

BTW it's not pitch black, the concourse is permanently lit.

Well perhaps you could tell me what they did for the 15 minutes that they were standing outside the door.

Probably chatted about the weather, and where they were going on holiday, that kind of thing. You know, the usual sort of thing you do when your husband's dying.

And it *was* pitch black according to the two people present and the nurse I was chatting to earlier.

It's not exactly an issue of fault I think - it's a situation that could have been handled better. The medical professions are very much people orientated and communication is a key element in that. Perhaps on this occassion, communication was not as good as it should/could have been.

Probably chatted about the weather, and where they were going on holiday, that kind of thing. You know, the usual sort of thing you do when your husband's dying.

Well there's your problem right there. What they should have been doing was looking for a sign that said 'Enter via A&E after 9pm'

From Monkey's original post, it seemed the bigger bone of contention was the fact that they weren't told to enter via A&E when they were told to come in.

Either way, have a bit of sensitivity eh Tinker?

Well there's your problem right there. What they should have been doing was looking for a sign that said 'Enter via A&E after 9pm'

Oh that'll be the illuminated one you were on about? I think it's reasonable to expect, having been summoned to attend, that someone may have been around to let them in.

Quite frankly, I find your tone offensive.

It's not exactly an issue of fault I think - it's a situation that could have been handled better. The medical professions are very much people orientated and communication is a key element in that. Perhaps on this occassion, communication was not as good as it should/could have been.

Sorry Observer I'm still not buying that communication was the problem here. There's a very clear sign by the emergency intercom at the the front entrance stating what to do after hours.

And your grounds for dismissing the suggestion that it wasn't illuminated on the night in question?

......is that the suggestion is utter rubbish. The hospital has an emergency generator that cuts in automatically in case of a power cut. And there are many lights in that area, one bulb out wouldn't make much difference.

You weren't there. You don't know what happened. You definitely aren't the nurse who told me it was pitch black. You clearly don't give a sh:t about the "stupid" people involved. And my post never put any "blame" on anybody, but hopefully will act as a warning to anybody else who finds themselves in that situation (although Observer summed up what I was getting at pretty well).

So what exactly is your point here?

Archived