Hospital Treatment

FCMR

Ok... picture the scene then. The family receives a call late in the evening and is advised that they should attend the hospital as their loved one is dying.. they are under the impression that they are expected.. they rush as quickly as possible to the hospital with emotions running high and a feeling of time being of the essence probably half expecting a reception of sorts... under those conditions is it not a little unreasonable to expect them to be rationally absorbing the relevant information applicable to them from the no doubt vast array of signs??

I think it is far more reasonable to expect the staff who work with these stressful conditions on a daily basis to have informed them in simple terms how they should access the building quickly and easily.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few months ago, me Dad got rushed to Nobles, when I got the call my cousin's husband drove me into see him at night. Naturally, we went to the front door. There may have been signs, they may have been well illuminated, but my mind was elsewhere and I didn't spot them. Luckily a security guard spotted us on CCT and let us in.

I'm not 80, and I knew me Dad wasn't dying, BUT it's obviously not clear enough for people whose focus is elsewhere.

I've not been to the hospital late at night, although I have been to both the main hospital ie via the main entrance, and also to A&E during the day. From what I remember you go a different way to the A&E carpark than to the main hospital carpark (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) so perhaps it would be better to have a sign of some sort on the main drive up to the hospital which clearly directs people to the correct entrance if the main doors have been shut. Saying that though, surely the staff know the main doors are shut at certain times and responsibility should lie with them to inform relatives which entrance to use.

Archived