[manx Radio] Baloon Race Canceled

Ripsaw

From Manx Radio (unedited)

There's been a change of direction for a balloon race due to be held on Friday.

The Isle of Man Children's Centre had planned the event at the Villa Marina to raise money for the Building Blocks Appeal.

However, after receiving information about the environmental impact balloon races can have, particularly on marine wildlife, organisers decided to hold a tombola instead.

Development Manager, Simone Rogers, says it would have been irresponsible to have gone ahead with the race

Well done (I think) for the Children Centre realising their responsibility to the envirment. To be honest I wouldn't have thought such negative probabilites in relation to what is in effect a bit of fun. But hang on...

Also Manx Radio (edited)

The Isle of Man's Freedom to Flourish Campaign was officially launched at today's Tynwald ceremony.

Chief Minister Donald Gelling released two hundred balloons, which symbolically spread the campaign's message out from the Island.

...What's good enough for the goose Chief Minister...

It is good that the Children's centre have done this because fallen balloons can be mistaken for jellyfish by Leatherback turtles, there is already a load of crap in the Irish sea but not adding to it is definitely a good thing and will help raise awareness on such issues.

I'm amazed the CM let all those balloons go, especially as the IOM is now promoted as a place to come and observe Basking sharks and other sea life which balloons etc can also affect.

You'd think some entrepreneur would have come up with a biogradable balloon by now ... until they do I think sending off loads of balloons is little different to littering. Especially when its been done just to publicize a Government campaign.

I can understand a charity doing it ... they MIGHT be able to claim the charitable advantages out weigh the environmental difficulties ... but littering to promote Freedom to Florish ... Shame on them!

Edited: Can't type, can't spell.

You'd think some entrepreneur would have come up with a biogradable balloon by now ...

Funny you should say that, I was watching newsround last week, (what? I haven't got a job and it's on just before Neighbours...) and they had a special item on there about balloons and their effect on wildlife, suggesting that press-packers everywhere should avoid such events at all costs! They did mention a bio-degradable balloon, but they take longer to degrade at sea and if a turtle swallows one that hasn't been in the water long, the effects are just the same as a regular balloon.

It is not often that a post makes me change my mind, this one has, balloons aren't that essential. :ban:

Keep your eyes on the keys though there has been some empty vessels filled with hot air spotted in the vicinity :whistling:

Lots ot interesting stuff above this is you try searching online. Seems like a bunch of people each trying to fight their corner:

Balloonists had commissioned a study which shows that latex balloons degrade in much the same way as oak leaves: http://www.balloonhq.com/faq/deco_releases...ease_study.html

Conservationists argue (and I like the wording they use) that balloons may damage the environment and could harm marine life and can become a form of pollution.

http://www.ukrivers.net/balloon_fact.html

I suppose watching Tom and Jerry smoking a cigarette could induce a kid to start smoking too ....

Archived