[BBC News]Record-breaker killed in practice

Newsbot

Do you think his kids loved that he loved doing it? Or do you think they just won't understand why their dad won't be around for the rest of their lives.

I'm sure he loved what he did ... but more than his kids' birthdays, marriages, births of grandchildren etc?

Risks and rewards ... I'd have thought buying your son his first legal drink at 18 was more reward than any amount of speed thrills ... but that's just me I suppose ... I just don't understand why these people put their love of speed before all the other loves in their lives.

I don't get it either - but it is why I would never do it. These sorts of people are not the same as us boring normal types, they would never survive in the life that I have.

If it wasn't bike racing it would be something else just as risky and which gave them just as much of an adrenaline rush.

mind your own business you judegmental old shrew.

there are many dangers in the world, having children doesnt mean you should do none of them. life is dangerous in itself.

Well said catchy.

When you have kids you hopefully don't stop being a human being.

The very first ape - who decided to take a bloody risk and stand up on two legs

set us on a path that got us to this point (H&S and censoring Tom & Jerry cartoons).

Life is a risk or nothing at all.

Better I suppose to see your kids grow up, then decline into a dribbling wreck and watch

out of the nursing-home window as they wave a cheery good-bye?

And if the bloke was a pilot and he crashed his plane full of passengers off to

Liverpool for a shopping trip, would that make it more acceptable?

We all die - I, and my loved ones I'm sure, would prefer I did it with a big grin on my

face and adrenaline coursing through my body, than the heartbreaking decline I watched my parents endure.

Do you think his kids loved that he loved doing it? Or do you think they just won't understand why their dad won't be around for the rest of their lives.

I'm sure he loved what he did ... but more than his kids' birthdays, marriages, births of grandchildren etc?

Risks and rewards ... I'd have thought buying your son his first legal drink at 18 was more reward than any amount of speed thrills ... but that's just me I suppose ... I just don't understand why these people put their love of speed before all the other loves in their lives.

How can you say these things? You really have no right to judge on what he did or the way his kids felt about him riding..

I used to know one of his sons who I'm sure would be so upset to see the things that you have written about his dad.

And his sons are older than 18 and have children themselves so all these things that he 'should have been doing' he's already done, so he was living his own life. Like other people have said, you cannot just stop doing what you enjoy when you have kids as it's dangerous, crossing the road is dangerous. You have to remember that they have just lost their dad and seeing comments like this doesn't help.

is it perhaps that an upper age limit is put on entrants? say 40?? a NZ guy who rode and used to stay with me gave it his last go when he was 39 and said that he didn't then feel that when he was 40 he would have the mental agility to continue with lap speeds of 115mph and over...

2 words for you which piss all over that particular argument:-

Joey Dunlop

Archived