Diesel Spills

Max Power

The MGP practice session was delayed last night due to a large diesel spill from some vehicle apparently coming down the mountain road.

This sort of thing is highly dangerous at the best of times, having been off a motorcycle myself on a spill from a bus.To have it happen during a biking event and for such a long distance on the course and then stop suddenly on entering Ramsey is highly suspisious.

I wonder if this sort of thing is taken as seriously as it should be. I mean, who can afford to throw diesel fuel away at that sort of rate, unless you don't pay for it?

It is supposed to be taken very seriously with offenders being fined very large sums if their vehicles are caught leaking diesel. Unfortunately spotting offenders who spill diesel and proving it is virtually impossible.

I nearly wiped out on a diesel spill in Baldrine recently right on a nasty bend. I was in a car and only just kept it on the road so I'd hate to think how a bike would have fared. I reported it to the police who said they knew about it and the DOT were on their way to sort it, which 30 minutes later on my return journey they were there washing the road.

but wasn't there a horrific incident when a diesel train caught fire 'cos of a leaking fuel tank??

I don't know, you tell me. All I'm saying is that diesel isn't actually flammable unless in the right environment for combustion. A diesel spill or even diesel spilling onto a hot prop shaft is not going to ignite. The danger with diesel spills is that it is very slippy and difficult to spot.

"...leaking diesel fuel poses a fire hazzard...."

http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/Research/...train%20fire%22

I can't be bothered to read all of the article but it seems to be about train design. A large volume of diesel spilling onto a running engine may be dangerous but as I said earlier diesel needs the right environment for combustion. This topic is about diesel spills and I stand my belief that the danger with diesel spills is that it is very slippy and difficult to spot.

Archived